nikki
Usermanagement probs
  • 2005/11/18 15:00

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/10/31

Hi everyone,

I'm finding this module a little odd.

When I enter the admin section > Users, there is a dropdown box to choose a user. This is totally empty. I'm able to click a link that says 'List' and then get a proper drop down box.

However, when I choose a user, I can't see what their Group is. I have assigned a user into a group successfully I think, but in this list it doesn't indicate anything. Then I thought of going the long way through the Member Profiles from the first page but only get minimal info: user name, rank and email. Not the user's group which is what I need.

What is the Category section for?

What's the difference between
a) Field visible on profile for these groups
b) Field visible on these groups' profile

They sound the same! lol And from what I have checked to what shows nothing correlates. There's no PM link or anything extra.

thanks so much to whoever helps
:)

nikki
Re: Usermanagement probs
  • 2005/11/19 10:56

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

An answer to any question will do. :)

dickinsd
  • 2005/11/19 11:14

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

What's the difference between
a) Field visible on profile for these groups
b) Field visible on these groups' profile

Hi.

First imagine you have a group called Moderators, which you give almost as much 'power' or access as you do to your webmasters.

a) Moderators would be allowed to see this field for groups if the field has been set to visible in b) groups profile.

So if you say that the field for Location will be available on the profiles for users in the registers users group, you can then choose to make this field available to certain groups for example the moderators.

OR you may want your anonymous users to view your member profiles (b) BUT you do not want anonymous users to see when the users from your registered users group (a) last logged in.

Ok does that make sense or did I just confuse it further?

Also, I think the field will only become visible if 1. You have allowed it to be visible AND 2. the user has supplied some info, but I am not sure about that, so for example if you say that webmasters can see the location field, but the user has not provided any info for this field, then I think the field would not be displayed anyway. (At least thats what I get on my site)

Dave.

dickinsd
  • 2005/11/19 11:32

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Oh, actually I'll have a crack at those other Q's as well.

Quote:

nikki wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm finding this module a little odd.

When I enter the admin section > Users, there is a dropdown box to choose a user. This is totally empty. I'm able to click a link that says 'List' and then get a proper drop down box.

However, when I choose a user, I can't see what their Group is. I have assigned a user into a group successfully I think, but in this list it doesn't indicate anything. Then I thought of going the long way through the Member Profiles from the first page but only get minimal info: user name, rank and email. Not the user's group which is what I need.

First off, not sure what module you refer to, I am thinking that you are on about Extended Profiles?

Not sure where you are seeing this, I can't see it myself.

I have this also and It is kind of strange, the drop down list should be populated from the start really, or at least that would make the most sense.

To see who makes up a group you should have 2 ways of getting this info:

1. From Admin, go to Users and then Groups.
You should see the groups that you have available, the default is 3 groups (webmaster, registered, anonymous) but you may have created more groups such as a group for moderators or article contributers...
Click Modify next to the name of the group your interested in. You will see all of their 'options' such as module access rights for example.
Right at the bottom of the page you should see 2 boxes, one for Non-members and one for Members.

Anyone that appears in the members is a part of that group.

A person can be a member of more than one group, and will get all 'privilages' from group 1 AND all privilages from group 2.

2. Go to modules > Extended Profiles > Users, you get the drop down menu with no names but you can click on List, click List and you get a popup window.
The pop up window should offer three options to you.
1. User List: A fully populated list of users
2. Group: Any Groups you have (e.g. Webmaster, Registered, Anonymous)
3. Rank: Any Ranks you have (webmaster, moderator, friend of XOOPS etc)

If you select option 2. the option for Group, choose the group e.g. moderator and then click the button for Refresh and the list of users (1.) should be reduced to include only those members that make up that group.

Again, does that lot make sense or have I made it worse?

Dave

nikki
  • 2005/11/19 19:43

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Dave, you're an absolute star!

It's a little confusing LOL, but I've got a lot there to work with, I'll read over it and get it.

The categories thingy, well, if I'm not sure if it's 'Extended Users' that I have but the module is called 'Usermanagement'.
When I go into it thru Admin, I see four tabs:
Users
Categories
Fields
Permissions

I can add categories but have no idea what to use them for.

I wonder if we have the same module though?

Anyway, thanks again, that really helps.

BUGabundo
  • 2005/11/19 20:14

• BUGabundo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/19

Quote:

When I go into it thru Admin, I see four tabs:
Users
Categories
Fields
Permissions

I see them to, and when I click them they appear empty!!

Dave_L
  • 2005/11/19 20:32

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

nikki:

My understanding is that the categories are simply an option for organizing custom profile fields that you add. It could be useful if you add a lot of fields.

The default name of the module is "Extended Profiles", but that can be changed. Its directory is modules/profile.

nikki
  • 2005/11/19 21:37

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks Dave_L

Login

Who's Online

63 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 63

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits