StarShaper
Hostname of the database server - Unable to connect to database...
  • 2005/11/16 13:57

• StarShaper

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/25

Hi,

I have a problem with XOOPS 2.2.3. Until know my XOOPS Installation was running under MySQL 3.2. My Provider offered today MySQL 4 and I switched from Version 3.2 to 4.1.14.

According to the Provider instructions i had to change the Database Hostname from localhost to mysql4.domain.tld. I did this and have know the problem that XOOPS fails to connect to the database! The following error message occurs:

Quote:
This page cannot be displayed due to an internal error.

If you are the administrator of this site, please visit the XOOPS Troubleshooting Page for assistance.

Helpful infomation you should provide while asking for assistance:

Error [Xoops]: Unable to connect to database in file class/database/databasefactory.php line 34

I changed the database settings of my vBulletin Board in the "config.php" too. Without any problems! The Forum is running well. Is there another file I have to change except of the mainfile.php? Or is there a bug in the treatment of the hostname in XOOPS?

regards
starshaper

m0nty
Re: Hostname of the database server - Unable to connect to database...
  • 2005/11/16 14:23

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

nope the host works fine..

how are you actually entering it?

mysql4.domain.tld orhttp://mysql4.domain.tld

also make sure you empty the contents of cache & templates_c the compiled and cached pages could still be refering to old.

StarShaper
  • 2005/11/16 14:33

• StarShaper

• Just popping in

Hi m0nty!

Unfortunately this isn't responsible for my error message. I tried it with mysql4.domain.tld &http://mysql4.domain.tld. Additionally I deleted all files in the directories templates_c and cache. There is still the same error message .

As I already mentioned. I did the same hostname change to the config file of my vBulletin Board. And it works without any problems. The problem must be somewhere in XOOPS...

m0nty
  • 2005/11/16 14:41

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

is your vbulletin board running on the same db name, username & password as the XOOPS 1? all i can suggest is to see if resetting the password of the user account for MySQL works.. i do know that MySQL 4.1 uses a whole new hashing method for passwords.. just a possibility, no harm in trying it..

StarShaper
  • 2005/11/16 14:54

• StarShaper

• Just popping in

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
is your vbulletin board running on the same db name, username & password as the XOOPS 1? all i can suggest is to see if resetting the password of the user account for MySQL works.. i do know that MySQL 4.1 uses a whole new hashing method for passwords.. just a possibility, no harm in trying it..

Yes, my vB Board is running on the same database. I figured out that there is the same problem with another script like in xoops. Thx for you suggestion. I heard this too. I will check this out...

StarShaper
  • 2005/11/16 16:17

• StarShaper

• Just popping in

This is really strange! I have installed XOOPS in a seperate folder with the same database settings. It's working without any problems. But my original XOOPS Installation still produce the connection error .

m0nty
  • 2005/11/16 16:21

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

doublecheck mainfile.php to see if you made a typo somewhere or missed something out.. or added a / after the db host name server..

StarShaper
  • 2005/11/16 16:41

• StarShaper

• Just popping in

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
doublecheck mainfile.php to see if you made a typo somewhere or missed something out.. or added a / after the db host name server..

This was the first I did. Checked both files with Beyond Compare. Files are identical, except the path to XOOPS is different. But this doesn't matter

m0nty
  • 2005/11/16 16:48

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

that seems strange.. i hate puzzling problems like that.. lol

i'm thinking now that it maybe the table character set correlation.. with an existing db, compared to the 1 you just installed..

xoops was tempremental i believe in some areas, altho i don't think XOOPS was to blame, more of how many changes were made from in between sql versions when they changed to 4.1

StarShaper
  • 2005/11/16 17:05

• StarShaper

• Just popping in

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
that seems strange.. i hate puzzling problems like that.. lol

I know what you mean .

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
i'm thinking now that it maybe the table character set correlation.. with an existing db, compared to the 1 you just installed..

xoops was tempremental i believe in some areas, altho i don't think XOOPS was to blame, more of how many changes were made from in between sql versions when they changed to 4.1

Hmmm, indeed it could be an incompability with the collation. Unfortunately I don't have enough Knowledge in MySQL to check this.

Login

Who's Online

268 user(s) are online (185 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 268

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits