alitan
Re: Xoops 2.0.13.2 hack to add centre blocks above and below content block.
  • 2005/11/12 2:22

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

Really great! I really like it and will test It soon!
Mith's idea is great as well. Perhaps the next version include the mith's idea that would be perfect and I'm sure no other cms can beat that.
I also have an Idea!
HAve you ever noticed that why all XOOPS websites look so similar even when we use totally new themes?
Well, just look into the page and you'll see all the blocks have the same headers, same formats and so on.
So what I suggest is that, there should be an option like block_title_header_value , if the option is set to "one" then the header of the block will be displayed, if it is set to "zero" it will not be displayed.This makes alot of difference in the websites layout, as there will be no need to have multiple blocks with the same design. Also if we can somehow make these headers look different from one another that would be good too. So what I suggest, again, is that we place a special field in the blocks page so that we can set a specific color for that block's header or specific image for it!
I hope these suggestions will be applied in the next release!
Thanks in advance!
Alitan{{<<>>}}
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

JMorris
  • 2005/11/12 2:30

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
So what I suggest is that, there should be an option like block_title_header , if the opetion is set to "one" then the header of the block will be displayed, if it is set to "zero" it will not be displayed.

I've only tested this on the x22d theme with 2.2.x, but in that environment, if you don't give a block title, the block header is not displayed. It would be interesting to find out if this is true of other 2.2.x compatible themes.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

alitan
  • 2005/11/12 2:46

• alitan

• Quite a regular

Wow! if that is true than we have no problem, I will look into this!

Mithrandir

You already have so much available in 2.2.x that I find setting colours or images through the administration to be downright counterproductive.

Why? Because colours and images in a theme should be set in the theme.
If you want different looking blocks depending on the block type or the instance itself, you can do it with CSS.

<div class="blockTitle_<{$block.instanceid}>">

and a corresponding CSS class .blockTitle_1, .blockTitle_2 etc. and you have all the tools you need.

Doing this through the administration would destroy the separation of presentation from processing logic that I for one treasure in XOOPS.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

McNaz
  • 2005/11/12 10:54

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
There is nothing really talking against adding more block positions - except that no themes will support these positions.

This means that the no. 1 question asked in the forums - if we add more block positions - will be "Why won't my [block position] blocks show up???"

I agree with you here Mith.

Quote:
Adding new block positions is something I have wanted for a long time, but we will need some "fallback" measure for a theme to broadcast which positions it has available and perhaps let it define a default block position where all the blocks that are positioned on positions not in the theme will be put.

I've thought about this abit and I've come to the same conclusion. A theme needs to pass information back to XOOPS on what block positions (or zones) are available for use in a theme.

This way if a theme supports blocks (zones) above or below the content then the theme would advertise this and XOOPS would then list the available blocks in the block admin.

This could be accomplished by requiring such a theme to include say a zone.php file which registers with XOOPS available zones. This could be as simple as:

$themeZone->register(_AM_CENTERLEFT’theme_rcenter’,1);
$themeZone->register(_AM_CENTERRIGHT’theme_lcenter’2);
$themeZone->register(_AM_CENTER’theme_center’3);
$themeZone->register(_AM_CENTERDOWN’theme_dcenter’4);
Etc

Where register params are:

Param1 : The name to display in the blocks admin
Param2 : Smarty constant name.
Param3 : Value to store in database.

This is just an example of course and it remains to be seen if such a registration mechanism is sufficient (I hope it is).

This leaves the theme.html free of PHP registration code and the syntax remains sufficiently simple for theme designers to use.

If this general idea appears to be the right one then I could spend some time and see if I can develop a working example.

alitan
  • 2005/11/12 14:14

• alitan

• Quite a regular

@Mith:
I agree that setting colors might not be such a good idea, but what about block-header visibility? THis is what I think is making all XOOPS site look the same.
For instance if I do not wan to have headers in a block what should I doo? edit the theme and take off all of the header? No I do not want to take off all of the header but just a few blcoks.

LazyBadger

Quote:

alitan wrote:
For instance if I do not wan to have headers in a block what should I doo? edit the theme and take off all of the header?

RTFM - Smarty syntax and functions... I posted my ideas for "block-specific decoration in a theme" some time ago - nobody wanted to test my code-snippet
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

JMorris
  • 2005/11/12 14:50

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

LB,

Would you mind posting the link to your suggestion? I must have missed it.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

alitan
  • 2005/11/12 14:59

• alitan

• Quite a regular

Quote:

LazyBadger wrote:
Quote:

alitan wrote:
For instance if I do not wan to have headers in a block what should I doo? edit the theme and take off all of the header?

RTFM - Smarty syntax and functions... I posted my ideas for "block-specific decoration in a theme" some time ago - nobody wanted to test my code-snippet

If you would kindly give us a linkI would be really happy!

LazyBadger

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
LB,

Would you mind posting the link to your suggestion?

No, I'm LAZY Badger... Who sent noobs to search? Try to find it... "Use Power!!!"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits