Dave_L
Username filtering
  • 2005/11/8 16:34

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

[XOOPS 2.2.3]

There are three levels of filtering for the login name: strict (letters, digits, underscore and hyphen), medium (all of the above, plus most special characters except spaces) and loose (basically all characters).

The level is selectable in the profile module preferences / User Settings: "Select the level of strictness for username filtering".

The filtering is implemented in modules/profile/include/functions.php, function userCheck.

As far as I can determine, there is no display name filtering.

Here are my questions:

1) Is there any reason to do this filtering for the login name, since it's not displayed to other users?

2) Should the filtering be done for the display name instead?

3) Should the same filtering be done for both the login name and the display name, to make it simpler for users, so they don't have to deal with different requirements for the two names?

4) If the filtering is done, for either the login name or the display name, what would be the best way to make the filtering more configurable, without having to hack the core files? For example, a particular site administrator might wish to allow spaces or periods in names, but may otherwise prefer to stick to the strict naming requirement.

Dave_L
Re: Username filtering
  • 2005/11/10 13:02

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

Come on guys, I answer lots of your questions. How about helping me out here?

Shine
  • 2005/11/10 22:19

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Hi Dave,

Sorry I can't be of any help because to be honest I always use the standard setting. The username filtering part isn't that important to me and therefore haven't any ideas or whatever to this subject. Nevertheless I do think a lot of others (if I remember well) have questioned and suggested here and there about this matter and should respond to this topic. Therefore I am bumping this topic again.

I agree,...common guys and girls who have discussed this matter earlier,....reply to this! Now is your chance!

Grtz., Shine

gediminasbyt

Normally I do not not enable loose setting for usernames because most people know you can't use all kinds of chars in names and they don't care. Also I do see a problem here. If you use a special chars in username then you can get into trouble if you use somebody elses charset (in other words: at my home I have Baltic keyboard, enter name with specific Baltic chars like ąčęėįšųž now I go to public computer and can't enter the website because there are no chars available on that keyboard).

IMHO this setting is needed for loginname but it would be nice to have an ability for displayname. I would like to protect users from locking themselves out because of localiced keyboard set at their environments but have an ability to show their name the way they want to, with special characters because they can set that anywhere they want.

Gediminas

Dave_L
  • 2005/11/11 16:27

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

Thanks, Gediminas.

I hadn't thought of localization issues. As you pointed out, that's a good reason for having different filtering settings for the login name and display name.

Login

Who's Online

472 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 472

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits