mrbelvedr
will xoops be a good fit with my website?
  • 2005/10/13 0:11

• mrbelvedr

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/10/13

Will XOOPS be a good fit with my website?

The server is running Solaris 8 (sparc processor) and runs the iPlanet web server. My site receives about 400,000 page views per day, about 50,000 page views per day to the home page. The server is "behind" an Akamai caching solution and therefore is not "highly stressed".

My website is a big target for hackers. I receive about 2,000 attempts per month of people trying to find a backdoor into my system. That is why I only run static pages now, because I am scared to open up a hole on my system by installing XOOPS and PHP/mysql.

Is there a way to make the CMS only accessible to the webmaster (who VPNs to the web server)?

Can XOOPS run in "non-php" mode and just generate static HTML pages??

Please advise! Thanks!

LazyBadger
Re: will xoops be a good fit with my website?

Quote:

mrbelvedr wrote:
Will XOOPS be a good fit with my website?

No, it will kill host
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

brash
Re: will xoops be a good fit with my website?
  • 2005/10/13 1:02

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

With that sort of load I expect you'd have a dedicated server? I think what you want can be done with Xoops, but only with careful consideration and planning. It would be impossible for anyone here to say if using XOOPS would or wouldn't present a security risk, as apart from XOOPS itself you also have to consider PHP, MySQL and your webserver. There is no "non-PHP mode" as such, and it would take some work to get your system so that it only serves static content to your users with XOOPS operating as the CMS in be backend. Don't know what your requirements or website entails, but I would almost say you are better off with a fully customised application built to your needs than traying to mould something like XOOPS to do the job. That's just my initial impression tough and I only rank myself as an advanced XOOPS user at best. Guys in the core design team such as Mith or Skalpa would be better suited to answer such a question.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

Login

Who's Online

132 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 132

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits