Twonames
ho do I get SPAW and how do I update NEWS
  • 2005/9/21 10:10

• Twonames

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

Hello,

I have just installed the latest version of XOOPS and I have a couple of questions.

I have installed the Even News module for running a mailing list. It has an option to use SPAW editor. When I enable this option, the compose function does not work. I figure this is because I do not have SPAW installed.

Where do I get it? I have looked in modules but cannot find anything called SPAW.

Secondly, in looking around I saw something which referred to an updated version of the news module. I went to the module admin page an clicked the update button and it updated to 1.1 but that was not as high as the version no I have seen on the XOOPS site. What do I have to do.

Finally, I anticipate that I will be installing modules galore as I tinker and play and will probably not want most of them once I have figured out which bits I need. How do I ununstall modules tidily?

Thnks.

Andy

Twonames
Re: ho do I get SPAW and how do I update NEWS
  • 2005/9/22 8:49

• Twonames

• Just popping in

BUMP

Lots of views but no response so far.

If I am asking a stupid question or asking in the wrong forum, somebody tell me.

By the way, I have already figured out the uninstall question.

X-Elvis
Re: ho do I get SPAW and how do I update NEWS + a question
  • 2005/9/30 16:49

• X-Elvis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/4 1

About downloading Spaw try Solmetra, who develops it:
http://www.solmetra.com/en/disp.php/en_products/en_spaw/en_spaw_download

As far as installation - I'm wrestling with that myself. The default editor is Koivi, but it has very limited HTML capabilities. I have used Spaw in a custom application and know for a fact that it is a much better editor.

Can you please send me some information about how to integrate Spaw into Xoops, in case yo've figured it out?

Thanks,

x-e

Twonames
  • 2005/10/3 9:44

• Twonames

• Just popping in

Well x-e I have no idea.

I have not found any information of use on the XOOPS site. Plenty of threads refer to it but there is no help for the newbie like me on how to install and use it.

jfernau
  • 2005/10/3 11:56

• jfernau

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/29

I can tell you one way to get the SPAW editor:

Download TinyD. You can find it here.

It comes with Spaw included in a folder called "common". The "common" folder is supposed to go in your XOOPS root directory.

You may have to either tell evennews where to find your SPAW installation or move it to the location that evennews is expecting to find it.

While you're at it, you may want to give TinyD a try if you have a need for a static content module.

Good luck.

John

X-Elvis
  • 2005/10/4 20:36

• X-Elvis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/4 1

I tried both FCK and Spaw, but it is too much of a pain to integrate them with each module.

I figured it's best to use Koivi. I was under the wrong impression that Koivi is part of the standard XOOPS 2.0.13.1 install, since it is a XOOPs project. It turned out one needs to download the classes and put them insie a wysiwyg folder in the root directory.

My suggestion is to download Koivi fromhttp://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1038&release_id=447#selected (download the XK Editor Class, uzip it, and follow the REDME and doc instructions. With most modules you would not have to do anything else.

Good luck!

winnesoup
  • 2005/10/12 21:45

• winnesoup

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/15

It looks like this topic is easily overlooked for what actually the question is:
- How to use the module EVENNEWS (mailing list manager) with Spaw.

I stumbled into this question because I was having the same problem.

Looking into the code of evennews 2.01a (actually 2.2) it shows in the /admin/index.php that use of spaw depends on spaw being installed as a MODULE.
Wow, this is a long time back. I think there was a wf module that used spaw like this.
Problem: this spaw module is nowhere to be found anymore. Hurrah.

Do it the other way.
Spaw has also been launched as a /class/spaw. I think it was News 1.2 that started this. This package (called "xoops_editor_spaw") was prepared by phppp.
A reference to this module can be found at http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1001. Just browse down to WYSIWYG editors and choose spaw 1.07. You will be forwarded to xoops.cn.

So how to use spaw with Evennews ?
Unpack the spaw package to /class(/spaw --> depends on if it is packed with subdirs). Your path looks like /class/spaw and underneath this all your files and subdirs.

Now edit in /modules/evennews/admin/index.php the following code (you will find this at about line 11)

if (is_object($module) && $module->getVar('isactive'))
{
    include_once 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH "/modules/spaw/spaw_control.class.php";
}

to

if ( is_readable(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH "/class/spaw/formspaw.php"))
{
    include_once 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH "/class/spaw/spaw_control.class.php";
}

and that's just it!!

Do not forget to update the module evennews and have fun with spaw in preparing a newsletter!

Twonames
  • 2005/10/14 8:43

• Twonames

• Just popping in

Thanks for the advice.

I will go and have a play.

Twonames
  • 2005/10/16 13:41

• Twonames

• Just popping in

Oh dear.

I edited the file as suggested and now on entering evennews admin I get

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CLASS in /home/httpd/vhosts/harlowjazz.co.uk/httpdocs/xodir/modules/evennews/admin/index.php on line 18

Precise details....

Running XOOPS 2.0.13.1
go to module admin page
click on even news picture - get the error.

However... hover over even-news and click on preferences in the popup menu, I get to the even news preferences page.

I don't know enough yet to know where to look next

winnesoup
  • 2005/10/17 17:55

• winnesoup

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/15

Quote:

Twonames wrote:
Oh dear.

I edited the file as suggested and now on entering evennews admin I get

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CLASS in /home/httpd/vhosts/harlowjazz.co.uk/httpdocs/xodir/modules/evennews/admin/index.php on line 18

Precise details....

Running XOOPS 2.0.13.1
go to module admin page
click on even news picture - get the error.

However... hover over even-news and click on preferences in the popup menu, I get to the even news preferences page.

I don't know enough yet to know where to look next

Hello Twonames,

I hope you did install the SPAW class as part of xoops/class ?
I used the link to this class in my reply.

That would explain the error in your case.

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits