RobinH
Question on Xoops Organization
  • 2005/9/25 16:40

• RobinH

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/23

In reading the following from Joomla's site, I'd like to know what impact, if any, this will have on the ongoing dev work at Xoops? I'm trying to determine which CMS is right for me, and want to make sure before struggling through all the loading of XOOPS and then the loading of the 3 million or so patches...:
Quote:

Joomla's newest addition to the Core Development team, Marko Schmuck, is a recognised leader in Open Source Software.

Marko, who lives in Berlin, Germany, is known for his work as a former core member at XOOPS. He was responsible for dev.xoops.org, the XOOPS Forge. He also had his own open source project called RCP (Reseller Control Panel).

Marko will be a Joomla project leader, creating Standards and Guidelines for Third Party Developers (3PDs). Marko hopes his involvement with Joomla! will raise the level of code standards and help developers improve their skills.

Oh, the reason this is posted here is it appears that all the threads related to Xoops.org section are closed.

Also, a question regarding your forums - if you have it set to notify you of updates to a thread, why is it only notification through PM and not email???

Oops, forgot to quote my source:http://www.joomla.org/

Dave_L
Re: Question on Xoops Organization
  • 2005/9/25 16:51

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Marko (aka Predator) hasn't been active in XOOPS development for months, so I wouldn't expect it to have any impact at all on the ongoing XOOPS development. He left XOOPS some time ago to work on Mambo, which recently split into two forks, one of which is named Joomla.

If you use the Edit Account link on the left under User Menu, you can select whether you want to receive notifications by PM or by email.

skalpa
  • 2005/9/25 17:07

• skalpa

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/16

Well, as dave said Marko left almost one year ago.

Also, as opposed to what is written there he has never been a core developer.
He wrote some very good modules, helped building and managing the dev.xoops.org site, but that's all... Funny to see people saying that open source matters not being aware that open-source is also about not taking credits of what you didn't do.

skalpa.>
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, and more complex. It takes a touch of genius, a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the 1st one (A.Einstein)

Briese
  • 2005/9/25 18:55

• Briese

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/3 1

@skalpa,
marko has been webmaster from xoops.org for a short time and he build the structure on dev.xoops.org. Together with phppp he has developed the newBB2.

In your use of words ... Funny to see people saying that he was nothing but a "small" module dev.

Briese

Peekay
  • 2005/9/25 19:02

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
he has never been a core developer.

I understand that the joomla team want to build confidence in their product, but the article intimates (as RobinH points out) a 'defection' of a core team member from XOOPS - which is not true.

I agree it is a bit sad. You would expect this kind of PR BS from commercial, not open source projects.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

skalpa
  • 2005/9/25 19:24

• skalpa

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/16

Quote:
Funny to see people saying that he was nothing but a "small" module dev.

Excuse-me, but that's your own (and wrong) interpretation. I didn't write small anywhere, but said very good modules.
I do believe he was one of the best modules writers around, it's just that he was not a core dev. Nothing more.

Maybe the way you see things there is a hierarchy between core devs and module devs, the first ones being on top of the pyramid, and the second ones being the small ones, but again that's your vision, not mine.

skalpa.>
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, and more complex. It takes a touch of genius, a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the 1st one (A.Einstein)

phppp
  • 2005/9/25 20:12

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Managers, Webmasters, Moderators, are you all silly to keep such a thread here?

remove it !

JMorris
  • 2005/9/25 21:05

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Managers, Webmasters, Moderators, are you all silly to keep such a thread here?

remove it !

@phppp,

No disrespect intended, but the only thing I see about this thread that warrants any action is moving it to a more appropriate category. So far, a legitimate question was asked and reasonably civil interchange has taken place.

There is a *potential* for this thread to escalate, but it has not so far. I believe if all who are involved keep a cool head, this could be a productive thread that clears up many misconceptions.

Don't you agree?

I do agree that this thread should be moved to a more appropriate topic. If someone with sufficient rights would do so, it would be appreciated.

@Briese,RobinH

Nobody around here questions Marco's contribution to XOOPS. He was a major contributor in many projects. He is respected by many here and will be missed by just as many. Several of us have wished him well in all he does. Please do not misinterpret what is being said here. We all respect Marco's skill, but the article on Joomla is technically inaccurate. Marco was not a Core Develooper. He was a module developer. And a darn good one I must add.

Nevertheless, since Marco's departure, development of XOOPS has not missed a beat. So to answer your question, Marco's involvement with Joomla will not affect XOOPS.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

davidl2
  • 2005/9/25 21:21

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Yes, I respected the work he did for WF... and on newbb ... although the release of his last version of wf-channel would have been nice.

Peekay
  • 2005/9/25 22:10

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Please don't delete threads. If you must, just close it and post a reason with a link to the new thread location.

If you delete a thread, users tracking it will suddenly get a blank entry in their notifications list which is *really* annoying.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits