KayJay
Email and stuff
  • 2005/9/21 10:07

• KayJay

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/6 1

Hi everyone

I'm developing a site in XOOPS 2.0.11. Can someone explain the differences between the email options and what exactly I need to run each.

Thanks
Katherine

KayJay
Re: Email and stuff
  • 2005/9/22 10:52

• KayJay

• Just popping in

No one?

Herko
  • 2005/9/22 10:57

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

You can use PHP's built in mail system, which just sends the messages to the recipient is gets from a form (mostly). This is a very basic method, but works most of the time.

You can also use the SMTP method, that uses a mailserver to relay all messages through. This requires the mailserver allows your site to use it as a mail relay, and with the current spam issues, not many mailservers do that. If, however, you have control over a mailserver, this can be a very nice option to use.

Some SMTP servers require you to authenticate with your suername and password (and allow you to relay messages when logged in), so that's where SMTP Auth is for.

Hope this helps!

Herko

KayJay
  • 2005/9/23 8:53

• KayJay

• Just popping in

Okay, I have access to an SMTP server, but sadly, it doesn't seem to like me much...

PHPmail doesn't work either, I get the error "Could not instantiate mail()". What does that mean, I'm using PHP version 5.0.4, could that be why?

Where does SendMail fall in?

Kath

JMorris
  • 2005/9/23 10:16

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Sendmail is a service (daemon) that can be configured to run on Linux/Unix systems. As the name implies, Sendmail is a basic mail transport system.

If you are hosted on a Linux server, it is very likely that Sendmail is configured and available. If Sendmail is properly configured, you usually just need to select the Sendmail option in your XOOPS control panel and everything should work just fine.

If you are hosted on a Windows server, chances are Sendmail is not an option.

Hope this helps.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

KayJay
  • 2005/9/23 10:43

• KayJay

• Just popping in

Oh okay, thanks, that makes sense. And yeah, I am being hosted by Windows. But what would my issues be with the email thing here then, with the PHP mail?

JMorris
  • 2005/9/23 10:44

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I don't have any experience with PHP 5, so I cannot say for sure. It might be that the mail function is called differently in PHP5. Hopefully someone with PHP knowledge will chime in with a better answer for you. Sorry.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

KayJay
  • 2005/9/23 10:57

• KayJay

• Just popping in

Thanks James, we'll just have to wait and see.

P.S, awesome avatar!

Login

Who's Online

130 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 130

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits