saamah
Is Xoops for me?
  • 2005/9/9 13:44

• saamah

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/9 1

Dear Xoopsers,

I'm looking for a little advice. I'm preparing a non-profit website for language teachers which will contain materials for use in class that are related to issues such as human rights, the environment, etc. I've swotted up on PHP and MySQL and now I'm considering using XOOPS to manage my website. My question is whether this is the right CMS for me?

The website should be very simple. There will be a database of materials, some described in HTML, others with Word documents or other attachments. A complex search engine will be able to find materials which match criteria (such as topic, age group, grammar point), or users can browse through. I would like to have a small forum, though very small, and to have different permissions for different users. For example all registered users can make comments on materials, but only a few can add new ones.

Do you think XOOPS is for me? My main requirement is a decent search engine that can restrict search based on several requirements. I'd be very grateful for some advice.

Many thanks
Saamah

kaotik
Re: Is Xoops for me?
  • 2005/9/9 14:08

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

Hi saamah and welcome to Xoops!
Xoops has many great modules that will do what you want from the new smartsection to xf-section, AMS and magazine just to mention a few. Take a look at the module repository under information to read more about each one.
One of the strong points of XOOPS is group permissions, where you assign permissions to specific groups then move users into or out of them. This is a very powerfull feature.
Regarding search, many of these modules integrate with XOOPS search, so that users can search through the entire site or just a specific part.
Another advantage is that there are always helpfull people around here ready to lend a hand whenver needed so feel free to ask questions.
www.kaotik.biz

saamah
  • 2005/9/9 14:17

• saamah

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/9 1

Thanks Kaotik,

So I think I'll go for it...

Saamah

otr222
  • 2005/9/9 14:50

• otr222

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/5/13

Just a suggestion but I would use version 2.0.13.1 for the time being.

Login

Who's Online

156 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 156

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits