JMorris
Dreaded PR0 :: Pulling my hair out!
  • 2005/9/8 2:07

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Ok, I know this is really going to seem strange coming from me, but I'm at my wits end. The MyWebResource site has been labeled with a PR0 and I cannot seem to get rid of it.

I've done everything I can think of to optimize the site for good ranking.

*I've got over 5,000 incoming links (mostly PR2 or higher)
*I've added rel="nofollow" to non-partner outgoing links
*I add fresh content almost daily
*I've rearranged the blocks so that most of the outgoing links are the last thing Google sees
*With the exception of the banners on the site, the site is mostly XHTML compliant
*The site is fully CSS 2.0 compliant
*The site scores 9.9 on accessibility
*I submit the site to Google Sitemaps at least weekly
*I'm using Herve's MyDownloads and MyLinks for unique page titles

The only thing I don't have, that I can think of, is short URLs, which isn't available for 2.2.x and completely unique META tags for each page.

Ok, here's the area's that *may* be hurting me (not sure).

*I do republish content (with permission) from other sites. (I'm not a very creative writer so I don't mind republishing a good article if I find one and can obtain permission).
*The site does not have short URLs. To the best of my knowledge, this is not available for 2.2.x yet.
*There are over 400 outgoing links on the site. It's a resource portal. The whole point is to link to great resources.
*The site does not have unique META tags for each page. I was working on modifying the "ThemeChanger" module to do this, but I just don't have time for it right now.

Ok, here's the invitation... Please rip MyWebResource to shreds. Please let me know where I'm going wrong, what I could be doing to improve, where I might be getting penalized by Google, anything!

I really want to produce a popular site where Webmasters can post their favorite links and share their knowledge. Right now there are only 30 members. An OK start for the first couple of months, but this number is really going to have to skyrocket if the site is going to hit "Page 1" of Google.

So, please, let me have it. I won't take it personal. I just want to put together the best damn webmaster resource around. How can I improve the site to acheive this goal?

Quick side note: This is the first time in a long time that I've designed a site that didn't at least have a PR2 within 6 weeks.

Thank you very much!

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Chappy
Re: Dreaded PR0 :: Pulling my hair out!
  • 2005/9/8 2:58

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

I do like your site a lot. Good info, etc. It will probably be one I visit at least weekly.

This comment only has to do with the registration process, not the site, per se. The activation link that is sent when someone registers is broken, as is apparently common to 2.2.3, if not prior 2.2 versions. the link takes the XOOPS root address, and appends the site's who;e url onto that eg:http://mywebresource.comhttp://mywebresource.com/modules/profile/activate.php?op=actv&id=41&actkey=mykey

Obviously, that's broken. Again, though, I like the site. More comments may be coming after I have some time to look it over more thoroughly.

Take care, good luck!

BTW, what theme are you using, if I may ask? Homemade or otherwise? It's nice. Like the CSS compliance, too.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

JMorris
  • 2005/9/8 3:06

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Chappy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at the site. The activation link is something that is common to 2.2.x and I'm following any developements so I can fix it ASAP. Basically, the MWR site ended up being a "live" BETA testing ground of how 2.2.x acts in a production environment (although, not intentionally).

Believe it or not, the theme is actually a modified version of the new "Default" theme. I just changed the background and a few other little CSS items to give it a custom look. I've fixed a few bugs here an there that showed up in IE as well. All said and told, I've probably got about 3, maybe 4 hours of mods in the theme total.

I'm working on cleaning up the new "Default" theme so that, when 2.2.x is labeled "Stable", the theme will be fully XHTML and CSS compliant with full cross-browser support for the most popular "modern" browsers.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Chappy
  • 2005/9/8 3:15

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Sounds cool on the theme development. Are you planning on sharing when you've got it finished?

As far as the email bug, you might want to check a solution posted in this thread:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40738&forum=39&post_id=180664#forumpost180664

It may not be perfect, but might help to get at least send a good link.

Take care and keep up the great work

Mike
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

JMorris
  • 2005/9/8 3:20

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

RE: My version of the default theme...

Yes. Once I get the bugs out, I plan to release it. I'm also planning to submit my mods of the "Default" theme for inclusion into the next "stable" version of XOOPS.

RE: Activation link fix...

THANKS! Must have missed that one somehow. I'll implement it immediately and test it out.

Best Regards,

James

JMorris
  • 2005/9/8 3:46

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick. I'll keep an eye out though. In the meantime, I'll keep activating accounts manually.

Best Regards,

James

JMorris
  • 2005/9/8 10:18

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

::bump::

panigrc
  • 2005/9/8 12:47

• panigrc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/14

I think your site or portal is realy good resource for webmasters. It doesn't matter if the articles aren't yours.

I give you my tips

+Make a personal style (colours, themes and templates) because right now it is like all the other XOOPS and cms communities.

+You should have a navigation bar and it would be better to have nice big icons on it.

+You must develop a niche and stay with it. I think you already have it but you must to show the others too. Tell the visitors that you can help them with useful information. Quick easy and free.

+Think as a webmaster. What are the main problems of a webmaster. I can tell ya !
- Reliable Good Hosting
- What content management system to choose
- What content and how to write it
- What style should his site have
- Where he finds some visitors
- Which methods are needed to earn some cash

And more ....
Its easy. Anwser these questions by articles you provide and you already provide quality services for you visitors !!!

I am a webmaster too, and I ve got the same problems. I hope the best for your site.
[size=xx-small]X-Park Greek Pc Modding Community
Official Greek Support at XoopsGreece.gr[/size]

studioC
  • 2005/9/8 14:44

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

hello james,

before you get crazy on this, i give you my top secret tip:

shutdown your mashine and have a good walk somewhere. You mentioned that PR isn't relevant to get visitors, so think about this again. It is TRUE.
And?, Does a pr effects serps (search engine result pages)?

PR updates from google do not run each week or month and you did not get a pr each week on a new domain, actually we have a period of nearly 3 month, the last pr-update from google was at the end of june i may remember correct, so there is a bit time for the next REAL one. Of course there are some corrections here and there, actually google is running a backlink update which may be relevant for some sites PR, but ... do your visitor care about that?

you may look at tools who call themselves "future ranking tools" but they do nothing else than querry googles different dc and they are not able to really look into future.

if there are as much as named backlinks you won't have any problems of getting a pr on the next update.

looking at your backlinks i actually find 741 backinks but less 2 GREAT (if they are correct:

PR 0 67
PR 1 3
PR 2 9
PR 3 6
PR 4 3
PR 5 2
PR 6 0
PR 7 0
PR 8 0
PR 9 2
PR 10 0

(but both pr9 are some strange redirects ???)

onhttp://mywebresource.com. Where did you look?

I looked at:http://www.domain-pop.com/backlink-check.php

the next i would do in your case, besides having a walk, i would concentrate on SOME keywords (there are some more in your meta, but some do think meta key is not relevant for google) and i would try to code and place your keywors in titles, headers and other tags to "highlight" words in source like STRONG --- key--- /STRONG B --- /B and use h1 where there IS A HEADING (are there more than one heading prio 1 on a normal document ? or won't ya use h2?) think about the structure of a document ..

but don't forget to have a long walk

happy xoopsing
michael

JMorris
  • 2005/9/8 16:04

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Thank you both for the excellent feedback! I'll start working on your suggestions as soon as possible.

Yes, StudioC, I really could use a long walk.

Best Regards,

James

Login

Who's Online

220 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 220

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits