kdollar
Show News on Top Page
  • 2005/9/6 6:29

• kdollar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/17

I am driving my self crazy trying to figure this out and it should be very simple. I want on my front page to show the news just like it would be if you clicked the news tab....How can I do this?

WarDick
Re: Show News on Top Page
  • 2005/9/6 6:40

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

If you do a forum search you will see the request line for this is a long one. Please tithe to the XOOPS god.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

kdollar
  • 2005/9/6 7:03

• kdollar

• Just popping in

I think I may have worded my first post bad. I want it to be like athttp://xoops-tips.com/news-index.htm ....If you scroll down a bit you see that they have the news nicely laid out on the first page...how can I do this?

hyperpod
  • 2005/9/6 7:16

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

I beleive they are setting news as the default module and building off that... but then the trick...

They are using mod_rewrite to make the URLs look better and to have the news index on front page.

Your hosting service would need to support mod_rewrite, to get this to work. You would also need to learn mod_rewrite or get a regular expressions guru to help.

Cheers,
Daniel Hall / XOOPS Module Development & Theme Design
Free XOOPS Support > My Wish List

Chappy
  • 2005/9/6 7:31

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

kdollar,

Just to be clear, are you asking about the urls, which is what I think hyperpod is referencing, or the fact that the front page of the site has several blocks above the news? Depending on what you are asking, the answer may be different. You could do a front page with blocks for news, comments, forum posts, etc similar to the XOOPS site, which as you have no doubt noticed, does not have the simplified urls. Yet it has all those features. It would have similar effect, just without the nice urls.

But, as hyperpod has pointed out, xoops-tips has directed the news module to be the front page via the black arts of mod-rewrite. So, really, what is it you want? If you want the front page to be just a bunch of blocks with recent content, etc. that's easily done without mod-rewrite (and nice urls). If you want yours set up exactly as xoops-tips, they'll have to give up the secret...

But, then again, I'm open to further education...
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

kdollar
  • 2005/9/6 15:52

• kdollar

• Just popping in

You may have answered my question I dont know. But what I want is right now on my top page....

I have my recent news like this:http://liveonlinepokergames.com/xoops/

I want a visitor to be able to read the news right away rather then having to click the button to go to a different page to read the individual news. This is what xoops-tips does that I want. There news is readable without having to do anything. It is in the format it would be in if you clicked on the news main menu. I want that format, the news laid out so you can read the top news right away...

Login

Who's Online

87 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 87

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits