dean_collins
IE logo

I noticed some websites now offer IE logos, so where you type in the domain url there is a logo then www.fqdn.com

does anyone know if you can do this with XOOPS sites?

Cheers,
Dean
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

adrock
Re: IE logo
  • 2005/9/4 7:57

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

yes sir!

it's called a 'favicon' and your standard XOOPS installation comes with one.

Here's a page that explains it and offers some tools for making one
http://www.lissaexplains.com/fun9.shtml

however, with IE they are not 'stable'...IE will usually display it once...and will add it to the link in your favorites...sometimes. Firefox however has no problem with these and displays them all the time.

If I'm not mistaken I believe that there is even some info about it in the FAQ section here at this site

Happy Xoopsing!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

dean_collins

yeh I've read the links about favicons already but doesn't seem to work for me, even though I've replaced the original favicon with my own 16x16 .ico file it wont show my design.

when I delete the favicon file entirely it shows the default ie logo.

then when i copy back the favicon.ico file I made which in the logo maker shows my design....then the riginal XOOPS logo is back again.

this is riving me nuts, I've spent way to much time on it already. is this soemthing I need to reboot the server to cause to go into action? I wouldn't think so as I can move the file in and out etc causeing the XOOPS logo to appear and dissapear etc.

Cheers,
Dean
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

adrock
  • 2005/9/4 22:28

• adrock

• Quite a regular

put back your logo, and clear your cache and delete the site from your favoites.

As I mentioned earlier...IE doesn't play well with these things at all.

Use firefox to test it, and you will see immediately if it is working or it isn't.

(on a side note I have noticed that IE doesn't care for 24bit ICO files...and prefers 8bit)

If it makes you feel any better, I don't even get the ICO for XOOPS at the XOOPS site when using IE...or any of the ICO's that I have made for my sites....I get them once...maybe, and then they just go away, neber to be seen again. (I really think that this is an IE issue and not an ICO issue)

dean_collins

thanks for your assistance....I can now relax knowing that I waste 2 hours on this and it doesn't matter how many more I waste I wont get it working properly :)

Cheers,
Dean
btw I didn't realise that it was actually getting the info from my favourites file or this even had anythign to do with it - but ti does explain why it was happening......argh sounds liek a solution looking for a problem and they should all just be deleted.
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

EMSguy
  • 2005/9/4 23:13

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Yea IE is bad with favicons, although it will always show when you save to favorites, at least in my experience.

Which is a funny cause there are probably a lot of XOOPS sites out there in people's favorites wondering what the X stands for at the various sites.

lol
"why don't you put her in charge!" aliens
Yes, I have a cool and crunchy exterior and a creamy geeky filling.

dean_collins

YEESSSS!!

Lol, finally it worked, All needed to do was to delete it from my favourites folder.

Now I hate to ask but.... how come when i save a shortcut on my desktop it saves it as the XOOPS logo not the www.aussienymeetup.net logo even though the url bar logo is working properly?

(btw I'm not spending any more time on this, I just used my laptop to log onto the site...the url didn't work but the shortcut worked fine!!!!)

like I said maybe ie 7 they'll get it right.

thanks for your help everyone.

dean
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

adrock
  • 2005/9/5 1:54

• adrock

• Quite a regular

through microsofts profound wizardry, it has probably assigned that ICO file as the icon for shortcuts in your system....

Who knows why....they had some BS in their tech forums about having fixed the IE ICO functionality...but it appears to have only gotten worse in my opinion.

For me... I just choose not to believe anything that MS has to say about the functionality of their products, or anything that anyone else has written about it, as my years of experience with it have proven everything I've ever read to not be consistent or validated.

I've chalked it up to "Oh well...that's life!"

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits