johntrot
complete setup on home computer
  • 2005/8/30 22:55

• johntrot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/7 2

I currently have a XOOPS site up and running, but I find that I want to make major changes and would like to setup a complete new site to replace the old one but don't want to take down the first site until the second is ready. How can I setup this new site on my home computer with the correct "paths" and know it is working before I upload it to the server.
john b

pmcnamara
Re: complete setup on home computer
  • 2005/8/30 23:14

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/12/3

John.. I'd suggest you set up a 2nd level directory.. like www.domainname.com/home and build your new site in the home directory.. then once you have it all done, you can just re-direct the www.domainname.com/index.htm to the home/index.html

Otherwise, I'd recommend the flash tutorials at www.warpigw2.com where there is a very through tutorial on moving a XOOPS site.

Peekay
  • 2005/8/31 0:08

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

If you prefer to build XOOPS locally, just install XOOPS and set whatever paths you need to get it working. When the site is finished, dump the DB to a SQL file with PHPMyAdmin.

Dump your old site DB too and download that SQL file with the files and folders (in case you need to re-use them). Then upload the new files and folders, set the folder permissions and re-set the paths in the config.

Finally, empty the old DB and re-populate it from the new SQL. I would recommend you use BIGDUMP for this, which enables you to upload the SQL file via FTP and populate the DB online.

The only problem is that some modules (not all) store absolute paths in the database. I recently saw a cool SQL script that would correct this automatically. I'll try to locate it.

You'll find info on BIGDUMP here somewhere, or in the FAQ, if you do a search.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

adrock
  • 2005/8/31 1:30

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

try this out....

http://xsas.sourceforge.net/

it's exactly what you are looking for.
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

johntrot
  • 2005/9/21 14:42

• johntrot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/7 2

Adrock - Thanks

you were right, the link you gave me worked wonders. Once again Thanks!
john b

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits