nintender
modifying existing module
  • 2005/8/23 3:42

• nintender

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/29

I plan to modify quiz 2.0 for my site to handle quizzes to specifically handle traing requirements. Can I do that without violating any licensing (all free, all volunteer site)
also, if the changes are good, how do I formally present it back as a modified module?
Any info, or direction to info would be greatly appreciated!

hyperpod
Re: modifying existing module
  • 2005/8/23 7:29

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

Quote:
I plan to modify quiz 2.0 for my site to handle quizzes to specifically handle traing requirements.

This is most certainly allowed to do.

Quote:
Can I do that without violating any licensing (all free, all volunteer site)

Free software refers to the idea that you are free and open to modify it to fit your needs. Whether you need it for a volunteer community or a commercial application. You are free to modify it any way you see fit.

Quote:

also, if the changes are good, how do I formally present it back as a modified module?

Since the software was issued under the GPL license, if you choose to release it, you cannot limit its distribution in any way. You can even sell it I beleive, although, you must include the full source code with all your changes. So Giving it away is usually what releasing it leads to.

If you sell it to Party A they can release it for free, and you cannot stop them from doing this, since this would be limiting its distribution.

You also need to retain the original authors copyright and credits within the code and xoops_version files. You can add your credits in it as well.

I hope i explained it properly, you can always review the GPL license available athttp://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#GPL for details if you wish.

Best Regards,
Daniel Hall / XOOPS Module Development & Theme Design
Free XOOPS Support > My Wish List

nintender
Re: modifying existing module
  • 2005/8/23 19:23

• nintender

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/29

thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

My intentions are to present it back here, if I've made what I consider substantial changes, for all to use.

Login

Who's Online

129 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 129

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits