stefan88
Re: Best Xoops Forum Module?
  • 2005/8/21 21:28

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

"old" does not mean bad ... :)
not supported - true, but you get some patches - check the 2.0.13.1 update - there are update for newbb class.

Now why I use it - this is not a short answer, but it works, it is light, it is simple ...

@jdseymour: Thank you for the info about newbbex and GIJOE's xhnewbb-1.1

jdseymour

The default newbb 1 has a bug that shows the user email address even if the user chose to have it hidden. This probably will not be fixed in newbb 1.

Peekay
  • 2005/8/21 21:47

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Until recently I would have recommended IPB. You do have to replace some of the XOOPS 'core' PHP files to install it, i.e. it does not have a point-n-click installer like other modules. I had it up and running in an hour (with backups of the files I changed) but you will need to upgrade the core files again if you upgrade Xoops. You also have to create a separate IPB theme if you want it to match the XOOPS theme.

On the plus side it is very good and it's the only 3rd party forum module that had solid support here on xoops.org. AFAIK there are two IPB modules. The 'free' one is available from the module repository. An IPB 2 module (which requires a licence fee) is available from bbpixel.com.

I am a big fan of PHPbb and there are a couple of PHPbb modules for Xoops, but sadly there is little or no support for them. As jdseymour says, forum modules are prime targets for hackers so you need a module with an active development team behind it.

NewBB 2.0 (worth a miss IMHO) is the forerunner of CBB. CBB has pro-user features and good support too. It would be my choice at the moment.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

stefan88
  • 2005/8/21 21:53

• stefan88

Quote:
default newbb 1 has a bug that shows the user email address

Where is that? Maybe I edited my templates too much, but do not see that. However if I click on users name and go to user profile I see that. However it should be bug of XOOPS - userinfo.php and not newbb ...

jdseymour

No it is a bug in the forum, upgrading to newbb 2 or cbb fixes the problem. So it is a forum bug.

stefan88
  • 2005/8/21 22:02

• stefan88

are we talking for the same thing?

Clicking on autors name you go to something like "http://www. .com/userinfo.php?uid=..."

This is not part of newbb or any module. And the result is the same with news and other modules where you could see autor ...

jdseymour

But click on the said link outside newbb and the e-mail address is hidden as the user requested. Click on it inside newbb the email shows even without permission. I about pulled my hair out on one site I was troubleshooting over this. In the end upgrading fixed the problem.

LazyBadger

There I have to click? Or, better, show me my mail using this forum?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

jdseymour

OK, OK Big Alex. I give. But it would not work on this users site, with multiple test users created.

stefan88
  • 2005/8/21 23:38

• stefan88

I'm wrong! I forgot that my test user has admin rights, so it was normal to see e-mails. Every module on my intranet works ok, including newbb1. Maybe the problem is fixed somewhere in updates after you moved to v2 ...

Login

Who's Online

133 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 133

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits