rring
Basic Installation Help - Mac OSX!
  • 2005/8/10 20:25

• rring

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/10

Hi
Need Help please. Im very green to all this, but eagerly trying to learn. Ive started the installation process, and have come to a screen that tells me that :

Directory uploads/ is NOT writable.
Directory cache/ is NOT writable.
Directory templates_c/ is NOT writable.
File mainfile.php is NOT writable.

Can anyone advise me on how to make these writable. Im new to databases and apache, but somehow have managed to install MySQL and PHP correctly.

The XOOPS online documentation is a dead link.

Heres what Im using
Mac OSX Panther
XOOPS Full Version 2.2.1
MySQL4.1.13-
PHP 5

Thanks!
This is almost becoming fun!
RR

barryc
Re: Basic Installation Help - Mac OSX!
  • 2005/8/10 22:08

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Mac OS X is a flavor of Unix, so what you need to do is use chmod to change permissions. OS X disguises this a bit. You can do it by highlighting the file or folder and using Get Info (command-i) or from the Finder Edit menu. However, I find it easier to visualize what I'm doing using the FTP program Transmit, which I can recommend anyway (www.panic.com/transmit). Using that program you will have a "Your Stuff" pane, which shows your local files and folders, and another pane for "Their Stuff", showing what's on the server you connect to. Click on a file or folder in either of those panes, and then press command-i or Get Info under the File menu in Transmit. That will show a box with the file permissions, including the Unix octal code (644, 777, etc). On sites like this and in instructions for installing modules, etc., you will often see the permissions referred to like that.
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

rider
  • 2005/8/10 23:53

• rider

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/18

The easiest way is like what BarryC said by selecting the folder and doing an Apple i, going to Ownership & Permissions then open Details and change all drop-down menus to Read & Write then click the Apply to enclosed items button, this would change everything to Read & Write (equivalent is 777) for everything in the directory.

The other way is fire up Terminal and chmod from there like so:

cd ~/
sudo chmod -R 777 sites

The example I used is due to me keeping my test site in the Sites folder under my login.

cd ~/

This changes the directory to my home folder which points to my login, i.e. lowededwookie

Of course you would CD to whereever your site is hosted.

sudo chmod -R 777 sites

This forces an admin strength (sudo) chmod to do a recursive (-R) permission setting of Read & Write (777) to the sites directory. Just a note with this. The sites directory is actually labelled Sites and not sites. UNIX is case sensitive but MacOS X is not so on MacOS X Sites and sites are actually one and the same. It maybe an idea to practise case sensitivity if your real site is hosted on a Linux/UNIX site other than MacOS X.
Darryn Lowe
Rider NZ...

rring
  • 2005/8/11 16:06

• rring

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/10

Golden! Thanks for all your help guys. I didnt realize it was as easy as Command+i on my directories. The install worked and Im juiced up and running.

Best
Ryan

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits