JMorris
Re: Whats the deal with the weird BOLD/Italics/Underline function?
  • 2005/7/19 1:04

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

If you're a Mozilla Firefox user, there's a fantastic extension that integrates most of the common BBCode tags in the context menu (right-click menu).

BBCode Extension for Firefox
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

bushtit
  • 2005/7/21 3:41

• bushtit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/6 2

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

LSUfan wrote:
Who thought up this akward approach and WHY?

Is there any way to change it so that people can highlight some text and then hit the BOLD button rather than typing it into the ADD box?

The simplest way: use XOOPS 2.2

Can someone be more specific and explain how XOOPS 2.2 addresses this issue? I don't get the impression LSUFan wants a WYSIWYG editor. He simply wants what you see in most forums, where you click a formatting button (bold, ital, etc) and it puts the bbcode tag in the text entry field, as opposed to the current XOOPS editor that makes you type into that silly form field and click a button and then click add.

Is this different in XOOPS 2.2? If so, how, exactly?

DonXoop

I don't know how 2.2 will change things but as always the easiest way is how I said, just type the codes. The most common are very easy to remember. b, i, etc... That has always seemed easier and faster than taking a hand off the keyboard to move a mouse.

But I'm old and stuborn.
no max no bling. goes double for mik. triple for the insane aliases of said lunatics
===========================
Not around here anymore. Way too many idiots, so sad.

bushtit
  • 2005/7/23 2:22

• bushtit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/6 2

Yes, that's easy for you and me; that's the way I do it as well. However, many of the users at our forums don't do it that way, and won't do it that way. If we converted our forums to Xoops, they would go absolutely berserk about this truly bizarre and inconvenient text formatting system.

I did try to look into kiovi, but after a couple of hours time could not find any step by step instructions for adding it to the XOOPS forum module, so I gave up.

It looks as though as much as we like the community features of Xoops, it's just not going to work out for our site at this time. The impression we get by using this site and these forums is that it's more suited to developers and other technical types, because there's not much straightforward, easy to find documentation for the non-technical user. Of course, your experience may be different; that's just the impression we've had after trying to find an alternate to the standard XOOPS text editor and not having any luck at all.

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits