tentons
MyDownloads anti-leech message is making people mad
  • 2005/7/20 22:04

• tentons

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/27

Little did I know that there's a harsh and immature message in the MyDownloads module which ships with Xoops. (It's also present in PDDownloads.) The anti-leech message is offensive and insults users who are legitimately trying to get a file. To make XOOPS better and more respectable, please change this message to something more helpful.

I've had some pretty angry people email me thanks to an error on my part (wrong download link) that caused them to see the message. I had no idea it was in there, but also I expected more professionalism from Xoops!

davidl2
Re: MyDownloads anti-leech message is making people mad
  • 2005/7/20 22:15

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

What is the message?

davidl2
  • 2005/7/20 22:19

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Go to: modules\mydownloads\language\english\main.php - and edit the text which appears to the side of:

"define("_MD_NOPERMISETOLINK

For example:

define("_MD_NOPERMISETOLINK""You naughty person! Please download this from the correct site only.");

or whatever you wish....

krobi
  • 2005/7/20 22:23

• krobi

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/12/21

in pd-downloads you can edit the message when you open the file called main.php in the language folder (and the sub-folder of your language you are using)

in that file you will find a line like these (its form the english language folder so it could be different)
Quote:
define("_MD_PDD_NOPERMISETOLINK", "This file doesn't belong to the site you came from <br /><br />Please e-mail the webmaster of the site you came from and tell him: <br /><b>NOT TO LEECH OTHER SITES LINKS!!</b> <br /><br /><b>Definition of a Leecher:</b> One who is to lazy to link from his own server or steals other peoples hard work and makes it look like his own <br /><br /> Your IP address <b>has been logged</b>.");

this is the anti-leeching message from pd-downloads and wf-downloads, i also think its the same in my-downloads.

if you have a better message please let me know and we will think about to change it for the next version.

if you only want to change it for your site, simple edit the line as you want for example

Quote:
define("_MD_PDD_NOPERMISETOLINK", "Do not Leech");

thats only a example.
Developer of PD-Modules like PD-Downloads and PD-Links.
Webmaster of Power-Dreams.com

davidl2
  • 2005/7/20 22:24

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Great minds think alike?

krobi
  • 2005/7/20 22:26

• krobi

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/12/21

hehe yeah we thought and typed the same at the same time
Developer of PD-Modules like PD-Downloads and PD-Links.
Webmaster of Power-Dreams.com

tentons
  • 2005/7/21 1:58

• tentons

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/27

Quote:
...if you have a better message please let me know and we will think about to change it for the next version.

Here's what I changed it to:

define("_MD_PDD_NOPERMISETOLINK""Oops! There seems to have been a security error. Please <a href="http://www.thinkbiggames.com/modules/liaise/">contact us</a>, and we'll help you find the file you're looking for." );

Thanks for the replies. I hope you will change it to something that is less "militant" sounding. :)

davidl2
  • 2005/7/21 3:51

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

That should do nicely

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits