Xavier
synchronize local Xoops site with hosted site
  • 2005/7/12 17:52

• Xavier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/12

Has anyone experienced a solution to synchronize a local XOOPS site (say, on a laptop) , with the hosted one ? The only access i have to my host is ftp or http (a php script ?) : no ssh, no access to "rsync" -as far as i know - ...
I need to synchronize the "uploads" directory, and the database.

Xavier

m0nty
Re: synchronize local Xoops site with hosted site
  • 2005/7/12 18:01

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

with ftp it's easy..

use ftpsync

the database is another matter and 1 which you probably won't be able to do.. because most hosting companies only allow scripts to access their db from their own servers.. so essentially you won't get a connection..

you would have to login to cpanel and then use phpmyadmin to export the database etc and do it that way

indream
  • 2005/7/12 18:06

• indream

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/21

highlander
  • 2005/7/12 18:23

• highlander

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/5

Hi Xavier,

Apart from not really understanding why you would have a laptop version leading; maybe for testing or conversion ?

If I would have to have a go at automating the process I would probably go for the following :

Cronjob on laptop -> create *.sql database export
ftpsync -> files + db export onto hosted server
Cronjob on server -> import *.sql database export

However if you require that the files only be moved now and then or just a couple of times doing it by hand might be easier.

greetings Highlander
So, I'm in the park wondering why frisbees get larger as they get closer when suddenly, it hits me...
www.AnimalPedigree.com

Xavier
  • 2005/7/12 22:21

• Xavier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/12

Hi, and thank you all for your quick answers !

You're right, this is worth a little explanation : my brother is going to live in a boat in Guadeloupe (french caribean islands) ; he's running a (newborn) XOOPS site (www.regardnature.org : ok, the theme is .. peculiar but HE wanted this !).
Well, he'll be adding content off-line, in the local version of the site on his windows laptop, then synchronize when he has access to an internet connection : new or modified pages in the Wiwimod module (that's in the database) , with added images and attachments (that's in the "uploads" directory).

This could be a "one way" synchronization, but i'd prefer to be able to handle a two way sync to let him grab questions on the forum and answer off-line.

His host is OVH , and he's contracted a simple hosting service, with plain private FTP access.

Of course, my brother knows nothing about FTP nor technical tools and i'd like this to be a "press button feature".

Xavier

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits