cuckston
Re: Subscription Service Comming
  • 2005/7/5 19:44

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

Hi all, unfortunatly i havent been able to contact my programmer over the last couple of days, i'm hoping he hasnt done a runner. If i dont here from him within the next day or 2 i'm getting another programmer i know to finish the script.

I had to change the link as we changed the layout of the website. Sorry for not informing you on here. The MC Subscriptions Page can be found here.

Many thanks

Rhomal
  • 2005/7/5 21:40

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

tvepsorg wrote:

There are two things at hand here that you people have to consider...

If your making a module for the simple reason of sharing it with the community, then that's great, but don't "expect" people to donate or feel that you "should" be "entitled" to get paid to recover your costs. Making modules for an open source community is not a smart "business" move.

So I feel that there are 2 situations that you should release a module to the community.

1. You have the means and don't mind eating the cost for development.

2. You are going to spend the money on development for your own business anyways, why not contribute to the community that has helped you out at the same time.

Of course that's just my 2 cents.

I could NOT agree more, well said!

This whole new attitude of shoving their costs down our throats makes me fairly ill to be honest. No one in the XOOPS community held a gun to their head to have a module developed. Why not be a man (or woman) and suck up the cost for the greater good of the community?

I run a communuty/news site. I eat the cost in the form of the ISP bill, hardware and my time every month. I do it because I beleive in the project/goal of the site. I wish more people here felt the same way.

Charity is a good thing.

brash
  • 2005/7/6 3:37

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Thanks for the update cuckston. Looking forward to hearing more .
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

xafadb
  • 2005/7/6 4:41

• xafadb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/8 4

Thanks for the update, looking forward to final version.

Could we please stop gripeing about opensource means free. I mean really, I love XOOPS and the way this community communicates and cooperates. However when it comes to a module or what ever that has solely business/commerce applications I do not think it is wrong to ask for donations to defray development costs. Ive personally paid for custom theme dev for my wedding site, but again this was custom work. Its not like Cuckston has said well all Ive got this module and Iam going to charge $$ for it and he's using XOOPS as his personal marketing platform.

Please can we just get over this, and get on with constructive development issues.
Low cost hosting, web services,and domain names www.myjaun.com free xoops, and other CMS install available

Free web cash!
http://www.greenzap.com/join-greenzap.asp?zapid=gomextango

cuckston
  • 2005/7/6 12:03

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

Hi all, finally got in contact with my programmer this morning, apparently he has been away on personal problems howeevr assures me that i will get the completed module tomorow. He is finishing the last bits today and then i can finally release it.

I cant wait to get it off my hands and into the XOOPS community, lol.

Rhomal
  • 2005/7/6 15:03

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

xafadb wrote:

However when it comes to a module or what ever that has solely business/commerce applications I do not think it is wrong to ask for donations to defray development costs.

Neither do I

However, the model AMS used, and apparently the same model this module will use is NOT based on a 'donation' its based on a -fee-. There is a significant difference which is my point of contention.

Withholding a module until you give money is NOT a donation its a purchase/fee. So lets call it with it is and stop candy coating it by calling it something that it is not.

The shareware/freeware model is donation based. This is not.

cuckston
  • 2005/7/6 15:24

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

I hope everyone relises that i will not be charging for this script. Upgrades will run on donattions however anybody can download the script for free.

brash
  • 2005/7/6 23:34

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Thanks again for the quick update cuckston, looking forward to the result . Don't worry about the trolls, most of us here have a understanding of how the real world works, and won't have a problem contributing financially (even if only a few $$) if we are wanting to use your module. In the end your the reason this module even exists, so you manage it as you see fit. Don't go trying to please everyone, it simply is not possible.

If you stick to your guns and continue managing this project, then you as a non coder have done more for this community than 99% of its members. You'll also find that those always crying foul have more often than not contributed nothing of any substance themselves. I just wish these forums were moderated more tightly so those actually wanting to contribute positively don't have to put up with the abuse from these trolls. Afterall, using your own spare time to contribute to this community should be fun, not a chore.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

jdseymour

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:
Quote:

xafadb wrote:

However when it comes to a module or what ever that has solely business/commerce applications I do not think it is wrong to ask for donations to defray development costs.

Neither do I

However, the model AMS used, and apparently the same model this module will use is NOT based on a 'donation' its based on a -fee-. There is a significant difference which is my point of contention.

Withholding a module until you give money is NOT a donation its a purchase/fee. So lets call it with it is and stop candy coating it by calling it something that it is not.

The shareware/freeware model is donation based. This is not.

According to the GNU Selling Free Software page he could actually charge whatever he wants to recoup his expenditures, the only restriction being that he cannot infringe on others rights to distribute it free.

The way I look at it is this is a community of individuals that use XOOPS and want great modules every day. Free software is not a handout, it is a mechanism to share with everyone, programs, cost, and support. If someone is developing a module that would be of use to you, it would only be right, if help was requested to lend a hand or some money to get the job done. The cost will spread out over time and lots more new modules would be available. Sit back and wait for something perfect for your application, and do nothing, you may be waiting a long time.

In essence, yes, you are never required to donate. But, if someone developing does not ask, he may not let other users that would like to share in his expense do so. So do not belittle someone for asking. If you do not want to contribute just stay out of the discussion, lay in the shadows, and pounce on the program after it is free and available.

Just my 2 cents

amayer
  • 2005/7/7 0:59

• amayer

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/18

@Rhomal

Cuckston says that downloads will be free of charge. But upgrades will be done according to how much money he gets through donations. That's different to how AMS was released.

@brash

It's not fair to call Rhomal a troll just because he's got a different point of view from you. The english definition of donation means to give money towards a worthy cause and not to recieve something in return.

I think people need to agree to disagree here, and stop throwing mud.

Andy

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits