arrakis
moving site to new hosting result in empty blocks
  • 2005/6/20 14:45

• arrakis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/1

Hello all, I am running XOOPS successfully on a site since more than a year, now for some reason I am moving to a new hosting, for the migration I followed step by step the tutorial on migrating XOOPS to a new hosting in the faq sections, but something very strange is happening: the site loads ok and the MySQL connection is ok too, the home page shows with all the blocks, but all the blocks are just empty! I also cannot access to the admin area and i can't login to check if something is not ok on the general conf, everything seems emptied even if all the database and the files are there, exact copy.

The only thing that makes me think that can be the reason is that I used phpmyadmin to export all the tables and data using the conversion option to make it all compatible with MySQL 4.0.xx that is running on the new hosting, while the old hosting is running MySQL 4.1.xx, when I imported the sql file I got a successfull message that all was fine.

I also tried to re-export and re-import the data including all the options, also in phpmyadmin I run the analize and repair function on all the tables after I imported all.

I also did all the same process with a small local server that I use for testing purposes, and I have the same results.

Anyone has any idea of what can be the reason for that strange behaviour?

As last info: I tryed to migrate the site some months ago, to test if was possible and easy to do it, and it worked fine, I got a perfect copy of the whole site to a test server, why this time the same process is not working on 2 different machines?

Thanks in advance for any hint

tl
Re: moving site to new hosting result in empty blocks
  • 2005/6/20 15:25

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

two things you may want to check

1) make sure templates_c, cache, uploads are writable (chmod 777)
2) tmp directory is writable by MySQL (you would have to check with your host about that).

arrakis
  • 2005/6/20 16:09

• arrakis

• Just popping in

Hello TL, thanks for your answer.

Quote:

tl wrote:
two things you may want to check

1) make sure templates_c, cache, uploads are writable (chmod 777)

Yes, I have now 3 installations, one on the hosting, one on the test server, one on the local computer using a virtual instant server, all seems to be just fine and all the possible setup was checked, but same problem.

Quote:

2) tmp directory is writable by MySQL (you would have to check with your host about that).

That is ok too...

Is very strange because seems that it reads the db and the data about the blocks, all is like the old site, but nothing inside the blocks.

<div style="padding: 5px;">
  <
fieldset>
    <
legend class="blockTitle">Latest news</legend>
    <
div class="blockContent"></div>
  </
fieldset>
</
div>

tl
  • 2005/6/20 16:45

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:

Is very strange because seems that it reads the db and the data about the blocks, all is like the old site, but nothing inside the blocks.
<div style="padding: 5px;">
  <
fieldset>
    <
legend class="blockTitle">Latest news</legend>
    <
div class="blockContent"></div>
  </
fieldset>
</
div>

I would check the theme file to see if the contents are called from the theme. Or delete the contents include templates_c to see if a new version of the theme can be generated.

If you see blank page, use phpmyadmin to set the update theme field, theme_fromfile, to 1 (yes) in _config table. While you are there, you may want to set the debug mode (field debug_mode to value 1 or 2 or 3) as well to see what kind of errors you are getting

arrakis
  • 2005/6/21 9:47

• arrakis

• Just popping in

Quote:
Or delete the contents include templates_c to see if a new version of the theme can be generated.

I can't believe I spent DAYS trying to fix that and the only thing I had to do was detele all the files in templates_c

Thanks so much for the help, I would never guess that, now all works perfectly

Thanks also for the other useful info, always good to know.

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits