barryc
Moving a Xoops installation from subfolder to root
  • 2005/6/19 2:51

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Hi all,

My live XOOPS site (aka.org) was originally installed in a subfolder of an otherwise static site. It provided some restricted components of the site. Finally I decided that I should serve the whole site from Xoops. To do so I moved the XOOPS installation from the subfolder to the server root. I then edited the mainfile.php file to reflect the new path to Xoops. Everything seemed to work fine. However, I have noticed two problems that are present in that installation, but not in a test installation I have in a subfolder.

One problem is that I cannot get the donations module to log IPNs from the Paypal site. The module does the donation on Paypal, but it is not logged to my server. I installed the donations module on my test site, and it works correctly.

Second, I worked with the programmer in developing the recently released Membership 1.0 module. We found that one field would not accept a value using the field name he originally assigned. When he changed that, it would accept a value. It appears that the field, for some reason, was expecting a numerical value and wouldn't accept a non-numerical value. That problem did not exist when we tested the module on my test XOOPS installation.

My concern is that I may have overlooked something in moving the site from the subfolder to the root. Should I have changed path values in any other places? The second possibility is that something is subtly corrupted in my live installation of Xoops. If that's the case I might have to do a fresh install of XOOPS 2.0.10 (which is running on both installations), then move the site to that. Any suggestions on how to migrate all of the data from the existing site to a new installation of XOOPS would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry Cooper

jdseymour
Re: Moving a Xoops installation from subfolder to root

Check the module settings in both modules. Any relative links will change correctly with the changes of mainfile.php, any links that are full links written during your old installation will not change with mainfile.php.

If you need to redo your XOOPS for any reason see this XOOPS Site Migration article.

HTH.

davidthomas1
Re: Moving a Xoops installation from subfolder to root

I just did the same thing myself - moved XOOPS from a subfolder to root.

I edited mainfile to reflect the new settings and everything worked perfectly.

I'm actually quite impressed about how easy it is to move XOOPs to another folder or even a new server - kudos to the design team!

However, you may have to update some absolute URLS that you have entered yourself, to reflect the new site location.

If you have to update any absolute URLs in the DB, try this handy MySQL function:

update [table_nameset [field_name] = replace([field_name],'[string_to_find]','[string_to_replace]');

I ran it from PHPMyAdmin as SQL against some tables (articles - article_text and wfdownloads - URL) to update the absolute URLs and it worked like a charm

Like any database operation, always backup your table/data first (PHPMyAdmin - Export>SQL).

It certainly saved time rather than picking throught the front-end text.

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits