riomx
Re: Install successful, blank page, have error
  • 2005/3/24 12:59

• riomx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

I needed to install the sessions extension for PHP4

I'm working on that now - if this works out, then I'll post an update here

I really really really encourage that someone updates the documentation for Xoops, as it is quite limited and outdated

Also, if the community is willing, documentation should be expanded to document problems with different OS's

Just something to think about :)

- Joe

Herko
  • 2005/3/24 13:11

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

The sessions extension is not something that comes with the most basic PHP4 installes by default?

I'm asking this because you're the first I know of that has reported this problem. If it doesn't come installed by default on BSD systems running PHP4, then we should indeed update the documentation with that information. If it does come installed by default, then this forum post should be sufficient to deal with those few who run into this problem.

Herko

riomx
  • 2005/3/24 13:28

• riomx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
The sessions extension is not something that comes with the most basic PHP4 installes by default?

I'm asking this because you're the first I know of that has reported this problem. If it doesn't come installed by default on BSD systems running PHP4, then we should indeed update the documentation with that information. If it does come installed by default, then this forum post should be sufficient to deal with those few who run into this problem.

Herko

Nope it doesn't. FreeBSD is awesome in many aspects, but sometimes you want to break your head open with it.

PHP4 extensions are installed separately in FreeBSD 4.11, BUT, the great thing is that the ports system takes care of the installation of selected extensions, as well as their dependencies and additional software needed

I had to install it separately, but after that, I was able to see the homepage finally !

If I have any further issues I'll post here :)

- Joe

ericld
  • 2005/3/27 14:12

• ericld

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/27

same on suse9.2. You have to install some extension for php4 otherwise you will have a blank page after installation.

Mithrandir

Can you give more detailed instructions on installing the needed extension in these two operating systems? Then we can add it to the FAQ and installation instructions, but we need pretty clear directions (version numbers, procedures for installing it) as we are - as you can tell - not familiar with these two OSs

worlds
  • 2005/6/13 8:36

• worlds

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/13

On Suse, you run yast2 as root
select "software", "Install and Remove Software"
select "Filter", "search", and enter php
Choose the optional PHP modules (e.g. php4-session, in this case).
select "accept".

Still doesn't fully fix it. I think I need to reconfigure PHP to enable sessions. That's next.

May I strongly suggest that the debug config option should be turned ON when installing xoops.

As in:
Quote:
UPDATE xoops_config SET conf_value=1 WHERE conf_name = 'debug_mode'"

It could be turned off after the installation successfully completes, if you want. Why not ask the user whether is should be turned off after a successful install?

But someone installing XOOPS for the first time would not know to turn messages on, and having messages would cut out quite a bit of frustration on installing.

Note that it's not a successful install until you have displayed the main page. The bug we are discussing does not occur during install, but when trying to display /index.php for the first time.

Tom
p.s. I wonder what other optional PHP modules are required for Xoops? Is there a list somewhere?

worlds
  • 2005/6/13 8:52

• worlds

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/13

Hmm. Rebooting after the above fixed it.

Odd that restarting apache (with rcapache2) did NOT fix the problem.

Tom

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits