Duane
Module Inventory/Status
  • 2005/6/2 0:43

• Duane

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/20

Let's say that I manage 10 XOOPS based web sites (some mine - some for a fee).
Each web site has a variety of modules installed - some modules are used in all the web sites and some just in a few. How can I manage all the modules to make sure that they are all up to date? Is there any way to check all 10 web sites for the modules installed and the version used. Is there any repository for module information from all sources - a listing of all modules in use world wide and status and version and dates.

Is there any module that has been deleveoped or is under development that will scan my 10 web sites, produce a list of modules installed with the version and date. Then go to some module repository to check if my installs are all up to date and correct?

Is this a doable thing? Will it be part of XOOPS 2.2 and/or XOOPS 4????

I wonder if a third-party would like to take this project on - I have no clue as to how to go about and create the module status respository except if XOOPS.ORG were to offer some sort of easy to use framework on which to hang this functionality.

Is this framework already in place? It would seem so - at least the checking what I might have installed on my local web site. Then we would need make some kind of external file that could then be downloaded to my PC for me to integrate in a spreadsheet or database. But I still need someway to get the information from the module developer.

It it such a wonderful idea - a module library of version data of all modules no matter who developed it. And someway to check my installs against this library.
(then we could go one step further - downloads to make everything current - but that is another story)

Thanks for letting me take up some of your time.
Let me know what you have done to combat this problem.

jensclas
Re: Module Inventory/Status

Hi Duane

seems to me to be a big ask and would be better asked in a different part of the forum such as feedback and suggestions or module request than beginners corner- if you have 10 sites you are well and truly up and running congratualtions. You oviously have a wonderful handle on XOOPS -

Quote:
Let me know what you have done to combat this problem.

so what will you be doing to help design what you request given your experience which outstrips that of many beginners?

Duane
  • 2005/6/3 19:55

• Duane

• Just popping in

I am sorry to mis-lead you - I do not have 10 XOOPS web sites - only said let's pretend that I have 10.
I did this because I was planning on hosting that many (or more) for clients. But I soon found out that with just the 3 I have been playing with I was having trouble managing them.

Thank for your reply - I was thinking of moving the thread to somewhere else since this generated very little response here.

Duane
  • 2005/6/3 20:02

• Duane

• Just popping in

Quote:

jensclas wrote:
... so what will you be doing to help design what you request given your experience which outstrips that of many beginners?

What will I do - well I would do alot if I already was good at PHP & MySQL - but alas I am not - I am a true beginner. Now if it was COBOL (40+ years of it).
I have given this much thought but I have no clue how to start. I would be a good tester - but a bad coder at this point. So to answer your question I would offer my ideas and testing skills.

Duane
  • 2005/6/9 13:58

• Duane

• Just popping in

I like what they have done at SMF - simplemachines.org in the way of downloading/installing/checking MODS.

I wonder if XOOPS 2.2 or XOOPS 4 will have features like this???

McNaz
  • 2005/6/9 14:22

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
Now if it was COBOL (40+ years of it).

COBOL, PHP... not much difference... except that PHP is easy to get into (if you have a computing/developer background) and is an absolutely beautiful language to program in. I seriously recommend taking the plunge and invest in PHP. You won't' regret it.

PHP + XOOPS = killer!!

Login

Who's Online

118 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 118

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits