Dave_L
Re: simple hack (4 years in the works) paypal subscription
  • 2005/5/25 20:41

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
... you run it on a "public" site, because of the current GPL "interpretation" you could be forced to hand over the source to that module, even if you do not want to ...

Where do you get that from?

The GPL doesn't require you to distribute your code. It only states that if you distribute it, then there are certain requirements, such as making the source code available, not changing the license, and including a copy of the license with the distribution.

Running an application on a public web server is not the same as distributing the application.

artigas
  • 2005/5/25 20:57

• artigas

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/21

Greetings Dave_L -

This was posted by EMSguy earlier in the thread...

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLModuleLicense

Quote:

A company is running a modified version of a GPL'ed program on a web site. Does the GPL say they must release their modified sources?

The GPL permits anyone to make a modified version and use it without ever distributing it to others. What this company is doing is a special case of that. Therefore, the company does not have to release the modified sources.

It is essential for people to have the freedom to make modifications and use them privately, without ever publishing those modifications. However, putting the program on a server machine for the public to talk to is hardly "private" use, so it would be legitimate to require release of the source code in that special case. We are thinking about doing something like this in GPL version 3, but we don't have precise wording in mind yet.

Can not get any plainer than that.

And while it is not effective yet, it sure puts a damper on anything I might want to develop for my private use.

And while this talks about modified "GPL" sources, it is not a far legal leap to "GPL" sources that run on a "public" server machine. And I certainly do not want to have the legal burden of proving that my module was developed without looking at anyone else's sources.

Dave_L
  • 2005/5/25 21:22

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
However, putting the program on a server machine for the public to talk to is hardly "private" use, so it would be legitimate to require release of the source code in that special case.

Even though that's in the GNU's FAQ, I think it's a misinterpretation of the GPL.

I'm assuming here that "putting the program on a server machine for the public to talk to" refers to allowing the public to run the program (via a web browser), but not to download the (source code of) the program.

From the GPL:

Quote:
Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of running the Program is not restricted ...

I think that FAQ item is confusing the running of a program with the distribution of the program.

DonXoop

Oi.

Let me give my also unqualified response.. I think Dave_L is right. You can customize your own site to do anything you'd like and not be forced to give your secrets to Tom, Dick or Harry. Doesn't matter if the site is on the internet or locked down to a secret cave somewhere.

You can go behind closed doors and develop and sell your own applications. How you use the free software is the only question. You can't modify someone else's work and claim it as your own to make money. Nearly all of the commercial applications are using some mix of Open Source software behind it.

Turn it around, the OS community won't be friendly toward freely helping to develop software that they can't freely use themselves. Charge $5.00 or $1,998.75 for your own creation that happens to run on top of OS apps like xoops, PHP, mySQL, Apache, etc.

artigas
  • 2005/5/25 21:41

• artigas

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/21

Greetings DonXoop / Dave_L -

I withdraw my sugestion then, since it does not seem to be of any consequence.

@DonXoop: Let me make it perfectly clear so there is no misunderstanding. I was only talking about creating my own modules for my own private use, using XOOPS as a framework.

Thank you all for the responses and explanations.

May all your endeavors be successfull.

EMSguy
  • 2005/5/25 22:39

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Well with the GPU/GNU out of the way.

Does anyone know how to create this script.

1.) Modify register.php to add a very basic subscription button requirement in the registration for paypal.

2.) Have a script read the paypal ipn ipn return value(as paid) and then have the script move the user to the desired group (permissions in xoops)

3.) No admin interface is needed, no module needed, I can read php, I just can't code it. I can change all the values I need. Sounds simple enough right.

4.) Any suggestions? I almost got the group change to work with xdonations but when I change paypal fields to a subscription button the IPN breaks and does not move the user.

just post it in this thread

for all to use.

So anyone with a little time to help? Its is much simpler then anything ever requested, just a few lines of code, but I cannot figure it out, I am medical not a coder.

ideiafacil
  • 2005/6/2 18:47

• ideiafacil

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

Really this mod is present in php-nuke, postnuke and mambo as a module.
In postnuke and php-nuke is a paid module.

But for any programer:
PayPal developer website

PayPal IPN free class
http://www.micahcarrick.com/v2/content/view/1/3/

PayPal IPN Tools:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/pdn/3p-solutions-ipntools-outside

Is a good idea many user make a donation(US$10,00 ?) for paid a developer to release a GPL module.

Login

Who's Online

151 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 151

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits