amayer
Re:Mozilla Dev Team is considering using XOOPS
  • 2004/10/27 19:13

• amayer

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/18

Quote:
Rickb said:
Another idea of integration would be to place an alert or status icon that when you received a pm or reply to a post, this icon would light up. Clicking on the icon will take you to the respective forum. Of course, you do not have to have your email client up and running for this. Again, XOOPS is there making life easy.

I get the impression Rick is thinking more along the lines of the web services model, so that Mozilla and XOOPS can interact with each other using XML, SOAP etc.

Andy

Mithrandir

Quote:

amayer wrote:
Quote:
Rickb said:
Another idea of integration would be to place an alert or status icon that when you received a pm or reply to a post, this icon would light up. Clicking on the icon will take you to the respective forum. Of course, you do not have to have your email client up and running for this. Again, XOOPS is there making life easy.

I get the impression Rick is thinking more along the lines of the web services model, so that Mozilla and XOOPS can interact with each other using XML, SOAP etc.

Andy

Nice idea.
I'm not entirely sure that SOAP would be too great here, unless there is a security extension or something (I am not aware of any WSE for PHP, but I must admit that my knowledge in this are is limited to what you can do with Web Services that are open for everyone)
My concern is that if you need to transmit username and password in order to query the status of PM's, they will be transmitted in clear text in regular intervals... not the greatest.

But maybe I am seeing problems, where none are, so I would love to be proven wrong.

Having a pluggable Web Service gateway in XOOPS is something I would like to see, so modules can register web services with the system that can be used elsewhere.

JasonMR
  • 2004/10/27 19:48

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Maybe someone would be interested in starting a project, that uses XUL?!?!?!?

I had been thinking down those lines, while pondering the Admin Interface issue...there could be advantages, but this is just a vague idea, and I'm not that familiar with the whole Mozilla technology - just done some basic research and looking into the code, to get a rough idea of how Mozi works....something along the lines, instead of creating a skin model for the GUI, to use XUL....

Other ideas would be, creating a Mozilla Sidebar Collection, as an extension to our Modules. Module dev's can provide sidebars to either access module data/info, or might be used for admin purposes.

Regarding editors :: I have been looking at this Mozilla Extension named Mozile. I can see how this could be nicely worked into XOOPS.

The integration and use of SOAP could be promising, BUT I believe, the dev community has to come to terms, what they want to make out of XOOPS. This has been with demonstrated in the forum thread, regarding what makes a great, is a CMS, and how does XOOPS fit into the picture.

Never the less, I do believe there are a couple of Mod dev's out there, that can't wait to get started on these kind of projects (or maybe I am just reflecting too much from myself)....

I very much like this Mozilla Extension idea of Ricks:
Quote:

I can picture an X (take e.g. the xoops.org webicon) an icon in the statusbar, next to the icons for mail, composer, etc, that has a red background, when a PM arrives. To be honest, this would be something I would love to have...but my tray of work is FULL!
One issue that comes to mind::how would we feed Mozi with the PM status info?

By the way, Mozi is my browser of choice since 2001 ; I'm addicted , can't work with anyother browser )

Keep up the great work over at Mozill.org!

Rickb
  • 2004/10/27 22:34

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Elaborating a bit on my "concerns" I simply meant that I will need a little more practical example of, how such an extension could be like.

Do you mean things like theme and template development in the Mozilla Composer? Making Mozilla Composer an IDE for manipulating the HTML (and Smarty code) in these templates? If so, then it is not so much XOOPS, you should collaborate with, but Smarty as we use their technology for these themes and templates.

Or an extension for inserting XoopsCodes (like phpBB's bbcode) in text fields?

If I am getting the wrong end of the stick, do correct me - I am anxious to learn, what you have in mind

My intentions was to provoke an interest in bridging the world of Mozilla and XOOPS. Although I will explain what I describe, more importantly I wanted to have the XOOPS community create ideas that would help both Mozilla and XOOPS.

I would like to apologize for not replying sooner. I am not receiving my notifications when more post are created even though I have checked "Notify me of new posts in this thread."

In reading these postings I see a community which is very positive, responsive, creative and willing to experiment. I am quite encouraged.

Can we start another thread? "Creating Mods / Extensions for Mozilla" would be the topic title. This thread would discuss concepts, resources needed and the inter workings of the Mozilla / Firefox development tools for the creation of extensions. These extensions would allow the client / user to realize the usefulness of XOOPS.

Rick Blanc

Rickb
Can we ask the Admin to move relevant post to a new thread?
  • 2004/10/27 22:45

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Can we ask the Admin to move relevant post on the topic on creating mods for Mozilla, to a new thread?

1- I would like to keep this thread for those who want to voluteer

2- I would like to have a thread dedicated to evaluating the possiblilites of creating bridges to Mozilla. I can then invite Mozilla team members to participate in this discussion.

Regards,

Rick

Rickb
XOOPS lite
  • 2004/10/28 1:08

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Mithrandir wrote Quote:
Do you mean things like theme and template development in the Mozilla Composer? Making Mozilla Composer an IDE for manipulating the HTML (and Smarty code) in these templates? If so, then it is not so much XOOPS, you should collaborate with, but Smarty as we use their technology for these themes and templates.

Absolutely not, the idea is having XOOPS replace Composer. This thinking stems from the reason why Composer is there in the first place – to give the user the ability to create a web page or to import / cut -paste text into a HTML environment without having to understand HTML. HTML coders would not use Composer but instead their favorite editor – although they may quickly validate using Composer.

If Composer is used by the casual or non technical person who wants to create HTML docs, then XOOPS can very well steal the show. This is how I perceive this would work.

XOOPS is the web editor for Mozilla.

a) Based upon practicality and playing to an audience of non-technical content providers, a standard template for XOOPS would be created for the extension. This template would permit the client to enter content, print, preview and post. The client would need the exact template on the server. It completely replaces Composer.

b) Templates are the bases of giving functionality to XOOPS. All the intelligences of how XOOPS’s functions in the backend will be enabled within the template structure. If you allow the client to add flash content, it will be the template that predefines a frame for the flash object. Just as skins are made to give more options for an environment, templates would do the same.

There are two distinct elements of creating an extension they are:

The use of templates to create pre-defined frames
To create special Mozilla enabled components

The object is to create unique functions that blends within the Mozilla culture which will give practicallity and reason to installing these extensions.

Because Mozilla suite has a full integration with its mail client (where Firebird is only the browser) consideration of how these components will function will decide if they can indeed be shared for both Firefox and the Mozilla sute.

Reasons for installing XOOPS extensions

A - If one wanted to Blog, you would not need to have a live connection to the internet, you can write your articles, inssert images - photos, preview the assembled pages and upload them later.

B - A newsletter can be created and then previewed for release by the editor. The local machine would not have to connected to MySQL and would serve as a beta site. You would not need to produce an actual beta site for previewing for local viewing.

C - Media objects within the iframe can now be previewed before uploading. they can be tested for position, html compliancy and overall contextual placement. You will also be able to test the site with others for addressing quality assurance issues before uploading. These files are not connected to a MySQL server for a local machine.

D – Serves as a webpage copier. This locally produced blog or article with images allows the author to make a digital copy for archiving from the local files. All media and images and infrastructure is contained in one main folder. A CD or DVD can be produced from the local publication. Media and text files can be served on your local machine or uploaded to a XOOPS enabled site. It will look and behave the same, rather its on your pc or on the internet. Of course you would need lite version of XOOPS installed.

Summary

Produce a gateway to some key features to XOOPS by integrating elements into the Mozilla browser that will compliment the function of communication and content creation.

The scenarios I have described above may not be practical, but I think there is a place for adding value when you ask not the question, “What do we do when we are on the net, but rather, What do we want to able to do. I look at the internet as – viewing and composing.

"MoXOOPS" lite would act as a lite publishing tool for a local machine and for XOOPS on the net. Although the lite version has limited functions, all files, CSS and templates are fully compatible with XOOPS.

Do I hear a mobile version?

Herko
Re: XOOPS lite
  • 2005/5/29 11:49

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Does anyone have an update on this?

Herko

pod
  • 2005/5/29 12:11

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

*gasp*

This thread is half a year old??
Why does it seem that nothing came of this?

So many great ideas, wasted? I hope not. That would be very disappointing.

Rickb
  • 2005/5/29 19:53

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Herko and Pod,

This is not the only thread that is dead - there are others that our organiziation has posted and there was not even one reply.

We have gone back to phpbb to get the much needed support. I personllay like XOOPS interface better. However, another issue is that the management of the XOOPS site in general is not well managed when compared to the phpbb / phpbb hacks sites.

You may see how our compny is using phpbb for a Special Projects forum for Techsmith. There are several private forum that are not visable.

Special Projects site

You can not make private forums titles not display in XOOPS nor does the icon alert you of a new post in a private forum. I posted several times and another member also posted - with no results.

The module repository I found was also mis-managed. There were modules that were in the wrong category, modules that did not work, modules that had no descriptions, modules that had incorrect descriptions - all mixed in with good to average working modules - how much worse can you get, all under the XOOPS logo.

Overall I, like you, think there is a lot of misplaced talent and great ideas left to dry out in the sun here at the XOOPS site.

Rick

pod
  • 2005/5/30 11:44

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

Yeah, Rick, I feel ya.

I too feel that the quality of the (default) forum is holding XOOPS back, threads like these would be case in point. I can't imagine a thread like this one falling to the wayside if there were at least a "view all new posts since your last visit" function, for without it, as we see, "next thursday" never comes and brilliant notions brimming over with potential dry up for a seeming lack of interest.

Fortunately some people have taken the time to port some decent forums to XOOPS, so at least away from XOOPS central, on our own sites, we can achieve full forum functionality. I would suggest you look into the phpbb plugin for XOOPS, available I believe at www.bbpixel.com.

XOOPS is in the middle of an adjustment period atm, things are shifting in the wind and we really just have to wait & see where it all settles before deciding what the future holds in store for XOOPS. The module repository you mentioned is itself undergoing a massive overhaul as I understand it, & should be simplified & more functional before it is finished.
One things remains without question, XOOPS is still the best community management system available anywhere. What the XOOPS community does with it now that it's "all theirs" is yet to be seen, but I have high hopes.

Is there still a chance of implementing any of those various plugins you mentioned? Some of those extensions sound very cool.

On an aside, is SnagIt your creation? I love that piece of software :)

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits