tjnemez
Re: Subscription Service Coming
  • 2005/5/16 11:41

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

seems to me that you have already spent money to develop this script.

do what brash did with ams 2.41; delay final release and ask for a $10 donation for those who want to get the script prior to release date. my advise is to use some discretion here so you can recoup your costs.

while i do not necessarily agree with this method, i am willing to donate $10 as it is not a clone of an existing XOOPS module or script.

i look forward to testing out your script.

Herko
  • 2005/5/16 11:50

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

TJ: that would not be my recommendation. Brash's method is a bit clumsy IMHO as the main benefit is getting a pre-release version (nothing wrong with that), but you can't restrict people from putting it up for download for free on their website. Better to ask for invetments before releasing it.

Herko

tjnemez
  • 2005/5/16 12:01

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

Herko: of course you are right. i believe that a pre-release of ams 2.41 cost XOOPS users a lot more that a $10 donation.

gtop00
  • 2005/5/16 13:08

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Let's make it clearer:

I personally am mot willing to buy;
Since I am not a programmer, I am willing to donate or contribute for the making of such script, as long as:

It fits to my needs
It will be free for the community as everything else I get from the community.

But before these, let us see what exactly this script can do.

Questions:
- Can we have a details description of the script function?
- Can we have an offer from the (any) programmer?
- Is there anybody else who needs such a script(automatic subscriptions and payments for club members)

brash
  • 2005/5/16 13:45

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

[edited: Let's not revive that discussion, but keep focus on the project at hand, Mith]

davidl2
Re: Subscription Service Comming
  • 2005/5/16 14:02

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

This was quite a subject last time it was discussed with a lot of stress on both sides....

cuckston
  • 2005/5/16 14:34

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

Hi all, thanks for your contributions. I forgot that if i was to release the mod that it would have to be under GPL license. I will have to think about how i could go about this as i want to make a contribution to xoops, but this is costing me a lot of money so it only seems fair if i try and get some of it back.

Again with donations, people will say now that they will donate but when the time comes, u see nothing. I will have to wait and see i supose.

Anyway, i would like to know if you need any more features within this module. I am thinking of a slight change. When the user clicks on register they will be given the option to register as a free user or a paid user. (In your admin panel you would be able to block free users if you only wanted paid subscription.) If user clicks on free then they register as normal and get put straight into the free group, however if they click on paid then they go through the process of paypal. How does that sound?

Many thanks

davidl2
  • 2005/5/16 14:40

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Sounds like a good idea indeed.

As for the payment ... well I can't really offer any suggestions except for asking for people to donate (sort of like the typical sharware system) - and taking it on trust that enough people will be willing enough too... I'm sure there is a better option than this.

Looking forward to seeing this module in action

Mithrandir

Maybe instead of gathering many $10 donation pledges work on getting fewer, but higher donations.

$10 is nothing compared to what this module can generate - think seriously if anybody will ever sell subscriptions or memberships for less than $10. The Paypal percentage and minimum fees, exchange rates etc. will ensure a minimum price for subscriptions of at least $10-$15 (the period may vary, though) or there will be no real gain for the website owner. This means that the donation would have earned itself after the first(!!) user paid for membership.

Therefore I think it would be fair to get some real donations going and not just pennies.

Personally, I have $200 to throw at this, depending on the features - and with some requirements as to the coding (using XOOPS core features, Smarty templating etc.). What about you others?

brash
  • 2005/5/16 15:23

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
I will have to think about how i could go about this as i want to make a contribution to xoops, but this is costing me a lot of money so it only seems fair if i try and get some of it back.

Again with donations, people will say now that they will donate but when the time comes, u see nothing. I will have to wait and see i supose.

I am one of very few people here who can speak from experience on this cuckston. I had very similar plans with AMS, and I can honestly say that if I had the choice of doing it all again I wouldn't bother and I simply would keep AMS a private module. The grief, personal attacks and hassle simply is not worth it.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but just be very clear with how you are going to proceed before you do. You might have an advantage in that the module you're looking at contributing is directly tied to making money, and people might be more willing to make donations toward that. I can tell you that with AMS the last time I caculated the downloads Vs donations ratio, it was sitting at about 0.2%. At that rate it takes a LONG time to recoup costs.

Bottom line is that as soon as even one copy of your module is out in the open, there is nothing you can do to stop it, and virtually any chance of you recouping any of your development costs are out the window. This means that you can either rely on peoples generosity (and there are generous people out there, don't get me wrong), or you can stall the release of your module until you've recovered enough money to warrant releasing the module without buring a hole in your pocket. My advice to you is think long and hard before making a decision.

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits