juanjo
Template hacking for News, first attemp
  • 2005/5/9 16:31

• juanjo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/20

Hi xoopsers!
I was trying to get News section into the Home page, and maybe I'm trying something stupid, so I wanted to ask first.
I don't want to have my News module as the HomePage module because then, if you have some block defined there, you will always have that block in all your News pages.
So I tried to create a new template. I just copied the news_index.html and put it in the blocks folder, renaming it to news_block_index.html (if I could activate a block with the News module content, that would be perfect!)
Then I try to generate the template and I get an error:
The file doesn¡t exist.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance!

studioC
Re: Template hacking for News, first attemp
  • 2005/5/9 17:01

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

normally no hack needed? for what? the newsblocks and blocktemplates are there, just set (a) the newblock active only at startpage and you get it:

michael

DaveHaviland

my understanding would be that if you set the News module as your home page, then in the blocks you only want to display on the home page; select "top page" as the "display in" section. You should then only see them on the home page, not the module. - works 4 me.

juanjo
  • 2005/5/10 8:48

• juanjo

• Just popping in

Arghhhhh! So... Should I see a block defined for being visible in the TopPage ONLY in the TopPage????
How strange!! That is what I thought that should happen BUT when I say that I want a block visible in the TopPage it does also appear in the module that I have defined as the Home Page module (maybe it is just sound, but I do not see that so clear at all...).
So what I want is displaying that module (displaying the news) in the HomePage and having also the Welcome block BUT I don't want to see the welcome block when I read an article, or navigate through the topics in the News...
I hope it is clearer now...

jdseymour

Hi, Can I ask what version of News you are using? I believe the latest version has a spotlite to feature your most recent articles on the top page, while leaving the module off the top page.

You see if you assign a module as the top page, it will still be the top page even if you click the link for the module in the main menu. Blocks give more control, and keep the top page separate from the modules.

Hope I made sense. It's early.

juanjo
  • 2005/5/10 10:41

• juanjo

• Just popping in

OK. I've found Spotlight!! Thank you very much jdseymour. I didn't think it was so early... It's nearly 12'00 here... :P but I didn't have in mind there's the 'jet-lag' hehehe
Now one more question. I've selected that Spotlight. I see one only article as Spotlight. Could I choose more than one article for Spotlight? Maybe I should have to change the template of the block...?
Thanks again! I hope that I'll be able to understand XOOPS more completely and begin programming for XOOPS soon!

jdseymour

I am not completely sure how it works in the news module as I do not use it. Someone should be able to help with the specific settings for this. I am sure mor than one article could be selected.

DaveHaviland

You know, I didn't even think about what jdseymour was saying, I guess I don't go to the base news module from my top page-new module, I only use the "read more" links, and the topics navigation can be included in news 1.3.

sorry if I only frustrated.

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits