Herko
Re: Is 707 better than 777?
  • 2005/5/1 12:13

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I use PowerArchiver for all my archiving purposes, it also handles tarballs. I haven't compressed on windows, uncompressed in linux tho, so I can't tell you if it'll do what you're looking for.

Herko

JMorris
  • 2005/5/1 12:17

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I certainly understand your frustration. Have you checked what the default permissions are on your web host's server? They may be 664.

At the command prompt on the server use the following commands to check what the default settings are (do this in your web root so that permissions you've applied to other folders won't carry over):

[user@host ~]$ touch testfile
[user@host ~]$ mkdir testdir
[user@host ~]$ ls -al

The the file and folder you just created will show you the default chmod settings for your hosting account. If the settings are not 644 and 755, there really isn't much you'll be able to do other than chmod the files after uploading.

@Herko,

I use PowerArchiver too and it works great. I didn't suggest it because it's not free. But it's definately worth every penny.

Peekay
  • 2005/5/1 13:56

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx for the tips. I'll try and establish the defaults as you suggest. I'll take a look at Powerarchiver too. I may have better luck with Zip, but I agree the server default settings are probably the issue.

I would really like to get this working. The shell commands are a pain (I have post-it notes everywhere). But being used to FTP, the ability to decompress an entire website archive on the server in 2 seconds was very impressive indeed.

Login

Who's Online

410 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 410

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits