johnlow
e-Learning Portal
  • 2005/4/16 14:40

• johnlow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/16

Greeting,

Foremost, pls pardon my ignorance.

I'd like to build an e-learning portal (something similar to this:http://sg.myklab.com/) and am overwhelm with so many choices: Drupal, Geeklog, Mambo, PHP-Nuke, phpWCMS, phpWebSite, Post-Nuke, Siteframe, Typo3, Xoops...

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me if this is the correct way to go & better still some opinions, experiences and comparisions among those mentioned above.

Thanks again for your attention.

John Low

Herko
Re: e-Learning Portal
  • 2005/4/16 15:27

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

This is doable in XOOPS

I suggest you take a look at the Visual Introduction to XOOPS before you get started. When you've read that, download the latest stable version and install it on a server with PHP and MySQL support. Use the XOOPS Installation Guide to guide you through that process.

Looking at that portal you link to I suggest you take a look at using the SmartFAQ module for the FAQ, Liaise for contact, WF-channel for About us, product and testimonies. That should get you started.

Herko

JMorris
  • 2005/4/16 15:40

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

johnlow wrote:
Greeting,

Foremost, pls pardon my ignorance.

I'd like to build an e-learning portal (something similar to this:http://sg.myklab.com/) and am overwhelm with so many choices: Drupal, Geeklog, Mambo, PHP-Nuke, phpWCMS, phpWebSite, Post-Nuke, Siteframe, Typo3, Xoops...

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me if this is the correct way to go & better still some opinions, experiences and comparisions among those mentioned above.

Thanks again for your attention.

John Low

I'm currently working on migrating a college website from NUKE to XOOPS (http://cit.wvup.edu/tech). It's a bit of a mess right now (still not ready for production), but it will give you a good idea of how well XOOPS works in accademic situations.

There are numerous advantages of using XOOPS over the other platforms you mentioned, such as...

* Easy to design themes for
* User-friendly admin panel (and will be improving even more so in near future versions)
* Much more secure than most of the above
* Supper easy to install on any server that meets the minimum requirements
* Well over 200 free modules and templates to save time (that's 200+ each!)
* Completely customizable to your specifications (the sky is the limit)
* Excellent community support, documentation, and FAQ (I highly recommend reading the documentation and FAQ)
* Plenty of developers are members here if you need paid services (like module or theme development)

IMHO, XOOPS is the best going for most people. If you're an absolute brainiac and you want the best free corporate class portal available, I'd look to Typo3. It's very nice, but it has a VERY sharp learning curve. XOOPS on the other hand, has a mild learning curve and provides much of the functionality that Typo3 does (through third party modules).

Hope this helps.

johnlow
  • 2005/4/17 16:32

• johnlow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/16

Thanks Herko and JMorris for your generous input & patience with me.

I'm basically a wintel programmer with little experience with php & mysql. Therefore, this is a new challenge for me & I'll definitely visit those sites you guys mentioned & try to digest as much as possible.

Many thanks again.

Cheers
John Low.

highlander
  • 2005/4/17 19:42

• highlander

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/5

Hi johnlow,

Like yourself I have been looking for a portal system and found myself trying to find the right one.

I have tried most of the ones in your list. However after finding XOOPS (and the ease & power that comes with it) I have stopped searching.

I fiend XOOPS easy for the new user and very powerful as you become more expirienced in using it.

Login

Who's Online

116 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 116

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits