rob777
Weight feature suggestion
  • 2005/4/15 19:23

• rob777

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/21

Hi all,

Nice work with Xoops. I like it alot, it makes dummies like me some what capable of make a nice looking site.

Anyway,

My feature request...

Make block content a weightable option in the blocks admin.

This would give a little more controll of layout of the site.

Example,

I could have a center block on the top of the page displaying a messege for that module. Or perhaps a module block showing something.

Then the content (an article for example)

Then another center block at the bottom for adsense or a banner, or anything.

Maybe multiple blocks down there? Anything could be done.

So the weight would be
ccblock-1
ccontent-2
ccblock-3

Maybe I am missing something somewhere, but from what I can see the only option is to have any center blocks at the top and the content is displayed below any/all of the blocks.

It would just be a very nice feature to be able to control the placement of the content as well as the blocks in the same column. Would give a lot more control on the lay out.

I realize I could probably do this be changing the template, but it would be alot easier to control it from the blocks admin.

Thanks for listening.

jdseymour
Re: Weight feature suggestion

Actually where the blocks are shown relative to the module content is controlled by the theme.

See this Faq Page.

And this Faq Page.

HTH.

LazyBadger

Quote:

rob777 wrote:
Make block content a weightable option in the blocks admin.

This would give a little more controll of layout of the site.

You can use as is (or as idea) header.php hack from Happy Linux - this hack
1. Split CC block into 2 CCtop and CCbottom and can change layout of page into smth. like

CCTop blocks
content
CCbottom block

and where will appear block (on top or bottom) is contrrolled by block weight - all <=20 is top, all >20 - bottom

rob777
  • 2005/4/15 21:10

• rob777

• Just popping in

Yeah I realize that you can move
<div><{$xoops_contents}></div>

above the blocks code in the theme.html

But then it would be the same through out the site.
I was suggesting the ability to change the content and block order for each module if wanted. Or if I had to change every individual theme.html for every module, that still is very flexible. Anytme I would want to change the order of blocks and conent displaying, I would have to go and edit the theme.

As far as Quote:
One way round this is to try and put your module content in a block that will allow more flexible positioning

How do I create a block for each module that the module will automatically put the content in. (I know how to make custom blocks in the block admin)

I mean...when I add an article in the admin control panel for, say, wf-sections. How does wf-sections know to display that article in a block, instead of the
<div><{$xoops_contents}></div>
area defined by the theme?

I don't want to use individual blocks for every article I add. I would have a block admin screen with 100's of blocks to manage, and every block I set to "active" would show on every page in the whole module section of the website.

Maybe I don't understand the faq correctly, but I don't see the flexiblity. All I see it a fixed change in layout.

Please explain if I am not getting it.

rob777
  • 2005/4/15 21:14

• rob777

• Just popping in

Lazybadger,

That sounds more like I was suggesting.

I would be interested in this hack, if you could point me to it, I would apprieciate it.

Does that new cc_block show up in the block admin automatically or do I have to hack an admin file or system file?

I still think this would be a nice feature to possibly try to incorparate into a later version of Xoops.

LazyBadger

Article about hack here.
This hack change nothing in admin area - you have to remember border-value after which CC block will appear in CCbottom (and reflect this fact in own theme). I use suggested hint also for creating additional blocks - TOP and BOTTOM (also from CC)

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits