Altair256
Server upgrade messed up XOOPS install
  • 2005/4/10 19:16

• Altair256

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/10

Our hosted servers are being upgraded and our XOOPS sites are acting strangely. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered anything similiar to this.

-----

Here is a list of the upgrades (as much as I know this far) that have happened:
* Upgraded to PHP 4.3.11 from PHP 4.3.10
* Upgraded to CentOS 3 from Red Hat 9

Here is what is happening:
* No blocks are showing up.
* Under blocksadmin, no blocks are showing up.
* Even if I go to Modules, and update a block, no blocks show up in either place.
* Even if I install a new module never installed before, no blocks show up in either place.

-----

I have put a support ticket in with the hosting company, but they do not specifically support XOOPS. Has anyone else come across a similar problem, and if so, is there a resolution?

Thank you for your time.

- Altair256

martyboy
Re: Server upgrade messed up XOOPS install
  • 2005/4/10 19:29

• martyboy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/25

I remember a post a while ago on xoops.org and on my webhost's support forum that when upgrading to PHP version 4.3.10 the zend optimizer or something like that has to be upgraded also or it could cause problems, I'm not sure if this is the direct cause of your problems as I am no expert on this but might be worth checking up on, to see if your host has upgraded zend.

Hope this helps.

Herko
  • 2005/4/10 20:40

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

This sounds like a MySQL error to me (but I'm not a sserver admin or anything). These symptoms I have seen when the MysQL user that owns the tables do not have sufficient rights to write in the MySQL tmp/ folder, and therefore can't use a number of tables.

Check the MysQL error logs (if possible), and make sure the MySQL users are configured correctly.

Herko

Peekay
  • 2005/4/10 20:53

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Martyboy is right. If your host has forgotten to upgrade Zend it can cause problems. Unfortunately, although phpinfo() tells you the versions, I don't know which Zend version goes with which PHP version (the numbering system is different).

If anyone knows the correct matches, it would be great if they could post that info. Then folks could check themselves to see if their host has overlooked this issue when upgrading.

I'm afraid I know nothing about compatibility of PHP 4.3.11 and Xoops. Hopefully another member can say if that should cause problems or not.

Many hosts are a law unto themselves when it comes to changing things. If they initiate upgrades without giving you notice (unless it is required to combat a sudden security threat) I would change host ASAP and make 'notifications' top of the feature list with your new one.

Altair256
  • 2005/4/10 23:16

• Altair256

• Just popping in

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I have sent our hosting company a link to this forum article.

------

Peekay,
We are very happy with our hosting company. They are very proactive in resolving any issues, and it is obvious they care a great deal about their customers. Their forums did indeed have information about their upgrade and the how/why they were doing it. Red Hat 9.0 has hit it's EOL (end of life), so it was time to upgrade the servers to maintain the ability to patch the system and keep it up to date. The switch to CentOS 3 (RHEL 3 compatible) was, IMHO, a very smart move.

------

The problem has been resolved, and I am working with their technical support so I can provide everyone here with a more detailed explaination of what happened. Hopefully this will help others that may experience similar problems in the future.

Thanks again for everyone's responses.

- Altair256

Altair256
  • 2005/4/11 0:59

• Altair256

• Just popping in

Update: Hosting company confirmed that Zend was upgraded at the same time as php. It is possible the problem was caused by part of the upgrade, but after everything was completed the problem went away. Sorry I do not have any additional information to help others in the future.

- Altair256

Peekay
  • 2005/4/11 1:33

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Glad to hear your XOOPS is working again. And also that your host actually tells you what they are doing before they do it.

Login

Who's Online

232 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 232

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits