Pnooka
Request to mod developers
  • 2005/3/30 12:59

• Pnooka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/16

First of all, thanks for all the modules available for Xoops. Now for the sad part.
When you guys make modules for Xoops, could you please consider that not everyone uses english as their spoken langauge. I have stumbled over two excellent modules for xoops, which haven't been properly made for this is mind. The first module was XoopsGallery 1.3.3.5. I had to literally re-build the whole damn thing for it to be translated to finnish. Now i have to do the same thing to Agenda-X, it's all in english. Why is this, if i may ask?

brash
Re: Request to mod developers
  • 2005/3/30 13:12

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Can you not just create the language files for your given language? Haven't looked at the ones you speak of specifically, but I have also come across a few in the past with hard coded text instead of language files.

Pnooka
  • 2005/3/30 13:18

• Pnooka

• Just popping in

Of course i do that, but the translation process takes a bit longer when i have to search each and every hard coded langauge part. Then i have to move that into the define area, i also have to test the module for errors after that. This process takes up a lot of my time, but that's not too bad, since i'm unemployed. In some modules the transalation is almost impossible, but after some hours of hard work i manage to get most of them working after all.

brash
  • 2005/3/30 13:27

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Yes, hard coded text makes it a bit harder than it should be .

fredski
  • 2005/3/30 14:04

• fredski

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/26

I think that the coders are more concerened with a well put together module, and time is better spent squashing bugs than language packs, and seeing as the majority of the web is in english and it's probably the worlds most spoken language per country (and i dont mean a chineese one thats spoken by 4 billion people but only in that region of china lol )then it makes sense to write it in that language first. The module writers do an excelent job and I for one thank them for all the work they put in for free. If someone else has to go and translate it for a lesser used language then so be it. But hey I've been in the same boat with some french, german and chineese modules. At least me translating it takes less time than writing the actual module.

Pnooka
  • 2005/3/30 14:11

• Pnooka

• Just popping in

I agree with you. The work itself is great, the only drawback is the translation. It's not too hard work.
And when i'm done, it feels great to release taht work to my few finnish users who want that special module for their sites.

carnuke
  • 2005/3/30 14:17

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I saw this project called Language tool. Maybe it could help in this process?

Pnooka
  • 2005/3/30 14:26

• Pnooka

• Just popping in

Well, the finnish community isn't really huge right now. Only about 18 registered members, the site has only been online for a couple of months. I'm hoping that more finnish users will come along. Of course it takes some time for that, but i'm patient. For now, i do most of the translation for hand, since finnish is rather different from english. Hopefully some of the users over at xoopsfin.org, realizes the fact that i need help with the translation. First of all, i don't know what people wants for their sites and secondly, i'm translating modules as i go.

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits