karedokx
Waiting Content VS Notification Service or else?
  • 2005/3/25 2:14

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

dear all,
appreciate your input and feedback for the following issue i face:

the number of users in my (xoops!) website has been increasing. now it has become harder and harder for me to administer it. i often overlook the new articles or links or files submitted by the users of my website. what i currently do is regularly clicking on each module through the admin area to see whether there is a new posted item or not (a real ugly approach isn't it? ).

i have had a quick look.
1) waiting content module is something i can used, isn't it? has it had enough plugins for most of the commonly used XOOPS modules at the moment?
2) the other approach what i can think of is to use the notification feature (in each module): currently for all the modules i only allow my users to get notified if new items are published (to simplify and my my webpage tidier). i saw that i can't turn on the 'notify me if new item is submitted' to only the administrator of the module/site. is that true?
3) is there a better way to achieve the above which i don't aware of?

many thanks!

jdseymour
Re: Waiting Content VS Notification Service or else?

I use a combination of the Extended Waiting Contents and notifications for modules that the contents block does not cover. What I like about the extended waiting contents block (besides being available for more modules) is that it hides unless something is waiting.

Wish I could remember where I got the module from. If I find the link I will post (think it is in the repository though.)

HTH.

karedokx
  • 2005/3/25 3:53

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

thanks for the feedback jdseymour. i have found where can i get the extended waiting content (at peak.ne.jp/xoops). i have got it downloaded and will give it a try.

Catzwolf
  • 2005/3/25 4:03

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

As Module developer I would just like to say that the current method leaves a lot to be desired.

If we want to add to the waiting content block then we have have to hack the code to get want we want delivered to the user and this means we have to maintain this 'code' every time the system is updated.

Notification is a nightmare to implement into a module, the document on this is not exactly clear and doesn't exactly help developers.

We really need something that is a little more modular and 'pluggable' into the system.

Scott

ackbarr

Quote:

wfsection wrote:
Notification is a nightmare to implement into a module, the document on this is not exactly clear and doesn't exactly help developers.

Though I agree that Notification can be tedious to implement, what with all the language constants needed, I found the documentation of the feature to be very helpful as a module developer.

Login

Who's Online

489 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 489

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits