Kurous
server security changes
  • 2005/3/24 16:41

• Kurous

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/27

My Host Wrote:
We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. We were initially hasty when we
announced that allow_url_fopen would be turned off immediately as many of your websites
(many more than we had anticipated) rely on it for their functionality . The security issue for
our servers is still severe and we will still be turning off the allow_url_fopen option soon, but
anyone who is currently relying on it will have some time to make the necessary code changes.
This will be your only announcement regarding this and you must make any necessary code
changes before the deadline.

The deadline for any PHP code changes is ***** **, 2005. We will be turning off the
allow_url_fopen option shortly after that date.

If you are currently using this functionality in your PHP code, there is a more powerful and
flexible option available. PHP provides excellent support for curl library and its associated
functions.

This change will significantly improve the security of PHP-based applications running on our
servers so we can spend more time giving you more features!

Happy ********* Keeping-The-Peace and Security Team

Will this affect a XOOPS powered site? If so, how hard will be translating it over to use the curl library function call instead? Thanks.

NOTE: I didn't notice anything weird when they turned it off the first time, but I might not have accessed the site during that time.

Kurous
Re: server security changes
  • 2005/3/24 16:47

• Kurous

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/27

m0nty
Re: server security changes
  • 2005/3/24 16:48

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

xoops doesn't need it on.. in fact it's recommended to have fopen turned off & register globals to be off.. your XOOPS site will be securer :) so no need to worry :)

Login

Who's Online

391 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 390

ultraman147,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!