javier
PROTECTOR and DB prefix.
  • 2005/3/13 13:56

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/8/6 1

Today i installed the latest Protector version in my site, i just changed the XOOPS prefix to a custom one as GIJOE suggested.

My question is:
When i used protector for changed the prefix the script create a copy of all the db tables and his contents with the new prefix, suppose newprefix_tables

What i must do with the old tables with the old prefix , xoops_tables?

Protector module has not a option to delete the old tables, but if i wish i can delete from phpmyadmin,

What i must do? delete or not delete?

Grettings
Javier

RachelVirago
Re: PROTECTOR and DB prefix.

Hi Javier

I am just about to do this also not because my prefix was the default but because the old prefix was compromised.

Could I ask how the editing of mainfile went, was all OK and a smooth changeover? Did you close your site for changeover? I think I would need to as we are quite busy site.

As far as I can see there is no reason we should not delete the the old tables, the system no longer reads and writes them anymore once mainfile is edited after all.

This is just a beginers opinion though, having had one database drama I do not wish another so I am going to wait for a more qualified answer.

Regards

javier
  • 2005/3/13 17:09

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

Hi RachelVirago,

Quote:
Could I ask how the editing of mainfile went, was all OK and a smooth changeover? Did you close your site for changeover? I think I would need to as we are quite busy site.

Not problems editing the main file, its a very easy and fastest process, the original readme file can be confuse, them i decided copy and post here the last part of my mainfile (the text in red are the Protector added lines)

// Use persistent connection? (Yes=1 No=0)
    // Default is 'Yes'. Choose 'Yes' if you are unsure.

define('XOOPS_DB_PCONNECT'0);

define('XOOPS_GROUP_ADMIN''1');

define('XOOPS_GROUP_USERS''2');

define('XOOPS_GROUP_ANONYMOUS''3');
[
color=CC0000
    include( 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/modules/protector/include/precheck.inc.php' ) ;
[/
color]
    if (!isset(
$xoopsOption['nocommon'])) {
        include 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/include/common.php";
    }
[
color=CC0000
        include( 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/modules/protector/include/postcheck.inc.php' ) ;
[/
color]
}
?>

I hope that can help you, if your site has big traffic is a good idea to close for a few minutes while you make the modifications.
Just remember Set a password in the preferences for possible future problems.
You can find the latest protector version herehttp://www.peak.ne.jp/xoops/modules/mydownloads/

grettings and excuse my bad english
Javier

Speed
  • 2005/3/13 18:01

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Ahhhhhhh!

That makes much more sense to me. I was unsure how to go about changing the prefix. Please correct me if wrong, but as I read above Protector will create a complete COPY of your site's database using the new prefix you enter. Then you just change the mainfile.php to point to the new prefix.

That's just too simple. The instructions could use a little reworking though to make them crystal clear. Perhaps something like the following?

1To change your XOOPS prefixenter new prefix in the COPY box below.

2Press COPY button.  This creates an exact copy of your site's database.

3) Edit your mainfile.php to reflect the new prefix that you just created.

4) You may now safely delete the old xoops_ prefixed tables if you wish.  They will no longer be used.

RachelVirago

The thing that confused me the most was that the link in the repository points/pointed at the old version of protector.

I was looking for prefix manager until yesterday!

I found the new version and upgraded and now ready to go for the changeover.

Thanks to GIJoe this is a great addition to a great module

javier
  • 2005/3/13 18:38

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Speed wrote:
Ahhhhhhh!

That makes much more sense to me. I was unsure how to go about changing the prefix. Please correct me if wrong, but as I read above Protector will create a complete COPY of your site's database using the new prefix you enter. Then you just change the mainfile.php to point to the new prefix.

That's just too simple. The instructions could use a little reworking though to make them crystal clear. Perhaps something like the following?

1To change your XOOPS prefixenter new prefix in the COPY box below.

2Press COPY button.  This creates an exact copy of your site's database.

3) Edit your mainfile.php to reflect the new prefix that you just created.

4) You may now safely delete the old xoops_ prefixed tables if you wish.  They will no longer be used.

That´s cool instructions, a good point to show to GIJOE the creator of Protector
This is his sitehttp://www.peak.ne.jp/xoops/

grettings
Javier

RachelVirago

Javier

Como estas amigo.

I wondered which version protector you have?

because I changed my table prefix this evening and after editing mainfile logging out and back in then going back to protector, I was able to delete the old tables from there.

I have Version 2.37

Regards

javier
  • 2005/3/14 2:49

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

I have Version 2.37 too, but i not logging back yet, i will check that tomorrow.

Thanks alot for let me know man.
Grettings
Javier

pfaulkne
  • 2005/3/14 3:46

• pfaulkne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/14

All,

The documentation team is currently working on a detailed guide for the protector module. It contains explanations suggested setting, best practices and operations.

As you some of you have seen, V2.37 is out. in the Prefix manager once you have renamed your tables, there is now a button on the right side of the *OLD* tables to allow you to delete them.

Also be aware, that if you have multiple sites running on the same DB, there is also a delete button next to the other prefix tables. So what Protector looks at is the prefix in mainfile, and then places a delete button next to any other prefix set in the same database.

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits