buddhax
ready to try xoops...1 question
  • 2005/3/12 17:45

• buddhax

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/12

Hello,
Was impressed with the visual tour options XOOPS has to offer and read some begginer forum threads. Now I am ready to test drive XOOPS and wonder about where to store it while testing.

The plan is to store XOOPS as either a temporary 2nd index page (ie index2.php so no one sees it) or put it in its own subdomain for the test period. So, when we're ready to launch it as our site, can we just rename the index.php (or move it out of the subdomain)? Or will links etc. get messed up?

Many thanks.

jdseymour
Re: ready to try xoops...1 question

I don't think renaming index.php is the answer. Much better idea to keep it on a subdomain until testing is complete.

Also there are many products where you can install apache, MySQL and PHP on your local computer for testing.

Good luck and welcome to Xoops.

buddhax
  • 2005/3/12 19:14

• buddhax

• Just popping in

Thanks,
Yes, I have put php and MySQL on my computer.
Then do I just a folder on my computer as if it were my site root directory and call the first page index.php?

Finally, when ready to upload (either from my computer or the subdomain) - do I replace the old index.php with the XOOPS one? and upload all the XOOPS pages and remove the old pages online? Is it that simple or am I missing something?

ddevore
  • 2005/3/12 19:28

• ddevore

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/8 1

Though I am new I am going to add my view to this one.

I am currently in the process of replacing a site with the XOOPS cms. What I am doing is I put the XOOPS site in another directory /dev with the accessing of the XOOPS I should be able to simply move the files to the root after I delete the old site. This should keep the site intact with few or no changes, please correct me if I am wrong in this.

With this setup I simply access my site withhttp://sitename/dev and have all the functionality available. This is also allowing me to have the site up for review without the world knowing about it. I am also doing this on another domain with a site that will eventually be changed to another domain completely, this will be a little harder though. For this I will more than likely reinstall and backup the content specific tables then restore.

Hope this helps.

buddhax
  • 2005/3/12 19:45

• buddhax

• Just popping in

Hi, thanks for your experience.
One thing Im not clear on is when you move XOOPS pages from your dev directory to the root directory -
~do you then delete all the old site pages (or move them to a backup directory)?
~ is this virtually seamless or does the site go down until XOOPS is in place and the old index.php page is removed? (Im guessing that XOOPS wont be interfered with from the old site pages???)

jdseymour

All that you should need to do is edit mainfile.php to reflect the path changes of your site when you move the XOOPS to the root directory. templates_c and the cache folder should be emptied to clear any cache of the old address.

That should be all that is needed.

Read this Faq Page for further information.

ddevore
  • 2005/3/12 21:25

• ddevore

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/8 1

Quote:

~do you then delete all the old site pages (or move them to a backup directory)?
~ is this virtually seamless or does the site go down until XOOPS is in place and the old index.php page is removed? (Im guessing that XOOPS wont be interfered with from the old site pages???)

I have not done this with a XOOPS installation yet but this is what I have done with other installations.

1. do it at a slow time like late night or very early morning.
2. backup all the old site files to a backup directory on the site or ftp them locally. this is for recovery.
3. remove all the old site files from your site. this will insure a good clean install.
4. COPY the XOOPS files to the root. if you move them then if something goes wrong you won't have a backup.
5. make the needed changes per the faq jdseymour suggested above.
6. test site.
7. if all goes well delete the old backup files. I would not do this tell I was sure the site is stable.
8. if you need a site for testing changes then keep the old XOOPS directory in tact for development, if not delete the old XOOPS directory also.

dadoprom
  • 2005/3/12 22:30

• dadoprom

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/3/2 1

u should try doing this, moving XOOPS form one directory to another, within your localhost (your computer), just to make some practice with this... otherwise u could get in panic after something will go wrong on your production site...
happy xoopsing

buddhax
  • 2005/3/12 22:33

• buddhax

• Just popping in

Thanks to both of you.
Im looking forward to this adventure.
My first, and successful venture with open source was firefox and thunderbird (last month)- its so much smarter and safer... so I am looking forward to similar release from bondage with XOOPS

Login

Who's Online

122 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 122

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits