mfcopier
Newbie Help
  • 2005/3/9 15:58

• mfcopier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Well l managed to install this l know how to install themes

But how do you intall modules

You see l want to make this a normal site just pages with links to the left search site etc etc

Maybe a forum

what module would anyone recommend

Garry

hobbles
Re: Newbie Help
  • 2005/3/9 19:38

• hobbles

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/27

I guess that depends on what your definition of "normal" is. What sort of content are you looking to have besides a forum (which should be included with the basic install)? A blog? (Download wordpress,popnupblog or weblog install according to the included instructions, or convert the included News Module to a blog format) Your basic one-page bio homepage? (you don't need a module, create a custom block and make it visible on the top page.)

Mithrandir

How to install modules FAQ

Which modules to install depends - as commented - on the purpose of the site. There are many modules available, each with its own purpose and strengths, so it all comes down to what you want to do.

For reference, this site uses
Newbb 2
News 1.2.1
SmartFAQ
(available onhttp://dev.xoops.org or in the modules repository here)
WF-Downloads
WF-Channel
(available onhttp://wf-projects.com)
And a couple of modules that are in the standard full package (links, partners, members)

Find you what you want and what you like and then find modules that suit you

mfcopier
  • 2005/3/10 11:11

• mfcopier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Well just a site with links on the left etc to different pages

I understand how to make the links but how do you attach it to another html page within Xoops

And back to modules how do you install them??

Thanks

Garry

hobbles
  • 2005/3/10 23:45

• hobbles

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/27

Basic module installation:

1. Upload module files into the module directory
2. From the administration area, go to System Admin/Modules
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. All Modules currently in the Module directory but not installed are in a seperate table at the bottom.
4. Click on the little disk w/drive icon to install the module

After a succesful installation you'll want to update permissions in the group area of the System Admin, and edit associated blocks for content, position and permissions in the blocks area of the System Admin.

Some modules require more work, but usually come with a readme file or some other file with specific directions.

As for the links on the left to various pages, its a much more involved process. The built in XOOPS main menu only links to modules, not individual non-xoops content.

Fortunately for me, the answer to this problem has been covered all over this website so all I'm going to do is suggest you look at the FAQ and do some searching for things like "custom menu" "html wrapper" etc.

Actually that first part of my answer is also thoroughly covered elsewhere too, but I could write that off the top of my head. :)

Login

Who's Online

167 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 167

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits