pbnj_dh
Newbb1 to Newbb2 Problems
  • 2005/2/25 0:14

• pbnj_dh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/1 6

Hiya,

I upgraded my Newbb forums from the default one included with the Xoop core to the most recent version. Behind the scenes the forums are fine, but nothing showing up on the main forums page.

I backed up my database. Deleted the old Newbb files in the Mods directory. Uploaded the new ones in their place. Ran the Update script and everything went through fine. Went into Admin/Mods and updated the forums there. Went into Forum prefs and set up my choices there. But when I go to the forums and it looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/pbnj/Misc/SS.jpg

I've repeated the steps a couple of times, and even checked each of the folders to make sure graphics and such were in the right place. Did I miss a step? I reread the instructions several times. Now I'm at a loss at what to try next.

Any help would be great, many thanks!
-pbnj

phalcon
Re: Newbb1 to Newbb2 Problems
  • 2005/3/4 8:24

• phalcon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/3 2

I have the same problem,

if i solve it i will get back to you about it

chrisis
  • 2005/3/5 3:00

• chrisis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

I have the same problem. However, I got some errors when I ran the newbb1 to newbb2 update script:

Quote:

failed open fileModule data updated.
Updating templates...
Template newbb_poll_results.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_index.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_searchresults.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_search.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_thread.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_viewforum.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_viewtopic_flat.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_viewtopic_thread.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_rss.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_viewall.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_poll_view.html inserted to the database.
Template newbb_online.html inserted to the database.

Unable to write to main menu.

The view of the forums remains the same for a standard user account and my admin account.

chrisis
  • 2005/3/8 4:26

• chrisis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

OK I have stumbled on something: when I change the theme for the website back to "default" (I was using a custom theme) all of a sudden the forum list displays exactly correctly. Can anyone point me at where to find out what I need to do to update my theme to accommodate the new forum software?

Byron
  • 2005/3/8 21:42

• Byron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/25

I'm having the same problem, I posted a thread asking about it yesterday. I even get similar looking broken tags at the bottom of the forum.

I'm also using a custom theme for my site. I laid out the theme for the forums on a mirror site; basically I did a second install of xoops, put in Newbb 2.0, and altered the templates to where I wanted them.

Then, when I went back to my main site and did the upgrade, the problems occurred. I never actually put the custom template files onto the main site; since the forums weren't working with their base files, I didn't think uploading my new ones would help matters any.

Anyone know what's going on here? As far as I can tell, this was just an upgrade bug; doing a new install, adding my custome theme, and then installing NewBB everything worked fine.

Byron
  • 2005/3/10 16:39

• Byron

• Just popping in

bump

ext4si
  • 2005/3/11 13:44

• ext4si

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/11

i had the same problem but i figured out the solution in a few minutes because i knew that it has to do something with the TEMPLATES...

so.. go to your administration panel, then System and then choose "Templates" .. and if u can't change the default template, you have to make a copy and activate it. then you can upload all the template files from the newbb/templates catalog to there.

just upload the new templates ;)

sorry for my bad english. i'm estonian.

Byron
  • 2005/3/27 1:31

• Byron

• Just popping in

I'm sorry, but I'm not certain what you're saying the problem is here. Is it that the templates somehow became corrupted, and I need go back to the original default ones?

This might work, but the problem is that I (and I think the others) are using custom templates we've made. In my case, I made a backup of my site, installed NewBB, and used that to lay out the templates and HTML the way I wanted. Then, when I upgraded on my live site and moved the templates over, this was the result.

Does anyone know what could have caused this?

jdseymour

I think there is some step that all of you are missing here. After the update script did you update the module, regenerate your cloned templates, and reset all permissions in your categories and forums.

If any questions see my Newbb 2 Flash tutorials that guide you through the upgrade, and permission settings. I hope this helps, I have seen this many times and it is always something simple missed.

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits