wjaggs
Political Party Website - Help needed to theme better
  • 2004/3/3 23:23

• wjaggs

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/18

United National Congress - Trinidad & Tobago

I'm an amateur at this, but our party is one of the 2 main political parties in Trinidad & Tobago. This is the first real attempt to have a meaningful website for the party to highlight news, political events, speeches in parliament and to get feedback from supporters.

There are many features I would have liked to implement, such as a donation box so that supporters could donate to the party. Basically, what I was hoping for was a little help in coming up with a good theme/templates for the site.

I've experimented with the CSS and the Theme.html but am not too happy with the overall site. All comments, assistance would be greatly appreciated. Don't let the "political" stop you.

sunsnapper
Re: Political Party Website - Help needed to theme better

One thing that jumped out at me was that the logo in the upper-left corner is a different width then the left column. Then, I noted that your left (and right) column is not a fixed width, which is also fine.

But, if you wanted to, you could match the width of the logo in the upper-left corner match the width of the left column. In the process, you might consider putting the logo on a wider and taller white square... it might make the header look less cramped.

Not a big deal.

Mithrandir

Only thing lacking IMO is the table layout (which an amazing number of people forget to consider, when describing wants for a theme)

With the yellow and red'ish colours, you should be able to do something about the tables, so they don't stand out so much.

The logo is fine - perhaps the horisontal grey bar should be changed with a red'ish one, but that's all, I'd say (or get a wider logo, which would fill the entire left block width without making the left block items too crowded together.

wjaggs
  • 2004/3/11 23:39

• wjaggs

• Just popping in

Thanks for the advice.. I've made some changes.. any more suggestions most welcomed.

Ace_Armstrong

A couple of things to note...

The UNC banner at the top is waaay too wide. I'm running at pretty darn high resolution and it still makes my browser scroll horizontally. Even though a lot of the newer computers are running at 1024 pixels wide, remember that a lot of people are still going to be at 800 px wide. Same goes for the photo in the center of your page. I'd take the size down considerably.

Having said that, I think it's a good start, especially if you're a first-timer. Getting donations and such are probably going to be best through PayPal or a system like that.

I've done some political websites that you might want to look at. A good one is at www.SanilacDems.com (they hardly if ever update the darn thing, but it's a nice site nonetheless).

wjaggs
  • 2005/3/6 11:47

• wjaggs

• Just popping in

After some time, learning and fiddling with Xoops, hacking here and there, I'm nearly getting there. Still have lots to do - like adding party policy, about us etc...

I need some more help... what I am going to do next is have 3 top centre columns, for stuff like a picture, crime statistics, and some other information.

Always evolving this website - but I need to get it done and over with soon.

wjaggs
  • 2005/3/6 13:08

• wjaggs

• Just popping in

One of the problems I am having is trying to organize the content/information.

We have press releases, but then I have to present other information, for each Member of Parliament, Campaign Issues, etc.

I tried wf_section, but I can't seem to get it to do what I want.

So, layout and content.. needs to be sorted. The colour scheme and general apprearance can be fixed after.

Any ideas?

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits