nokialee
Better than Xoops
  • 2005/2/28 4:39

• nokialee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/17

anyone know of any software that is better or similar to xoops?

brash
Re: Better than Xoops
  • 2005/2/28 5:14

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Yes. A new version of Xoops....

Seriously though, the big four of the open source are in general considered to be (in no particular order) Drupal, e107, Mambo and Xoops. What each of these means to you will greatly depend on what angle you're coming at.

I actually installed all 4 of the above on a test system last week to have a look around. I'd consider myself to be an experienced to advanced user at best, and I really do think XOOPS still is one of the best interfaces. I do have to give credit to Mambo, as it REALLY does have a very polished feel to it from a user perspective, and in comparision I found the XOOPS interface quite drab and tired in the eye candy department. However, looks alone do not make a good CMS. I found e107 quite good too, but found Drupal a lot more complicated than it should be to install a CMS (it has no automated install process).

A developer might have a totally different view as they are usually more concerned about the structure rather than the user interface.

charpres
  • 2005/2/28 7:02

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

Mambo does have a certain "polished" look, I suppose. However, you can come up with some pretty good looking themes and templates for Xoops. There's even a Mambo inspired theme in the Themes Library.

Anyway, XOOPS in way above Mambo in the modules department, IMHO. It really boils down to what you want to accomplish with a site. I've tried them all and still consider XOOPS to be the overall hands-down winner.

LazyBadger

Quote:

nokialee wrote:
anyone know of any software that is better or similar to xoops?

Yes, if you can define, what is "better or similar" for you

LazyBadger

Quote:

brash wrote:
Seriously though, the big four of the open source are in general considered to be (in no particular order) Drupal, e107, Mambo and Xoops.

Some (big) part of CMSers replace e107 by Xaraya

LazyBadger

Quote:

brash wrote:
found Drupal a lot more complicated than it should be to install a CMS (it has no automated install process).

Slightly harder installation haven't hide overall quality of this CMS. It's also harder to grok, but all troubles are compensated later by Drupal's power and flexibility

Login

Who's Online

130 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 130

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits