JMorris
Re: Sneak Peek :: Suggestions?
  • 2005/2/20 3:24

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Bulls wrote:
Quote:
Edit: oops I was looking at your old site. To be honest I kinda like it more than the new one somehow. Think perhaps there doesn't seem to be a focal point. Slight adjustment is all that is needed maybe. Could be that the lack of the small images you have in the first on boxes etc are missing on the new site. Could well be all that is needed. Still overall I like it again

I've added small a "Flying WV" image in place of the 3D ball that was there in the block titles. Is this more of what you had in mind?

krystinevo wrote:
Quote:
Is there a way you can add the 'WVUP CIT program' into the main logo? Or perhaps add another graphic next to the main logo with that info? It took me a minute to figure out this wasn't the university's main website. Looks like the fonts and colours on your logo are a bit different than the main university logo?

The main university is WVU (http://wvu.edu/). I've attempted to mimic the "official" WVU colors as closely as possible. The WVUP logo is "official" for our campus, but does not match the main university (WVU). I am hoping that my logo will fly with the powers that be at my campus.

krystinevo wrote:
Quote:
(Actually, I like your logo better). And the logo on the printer friendly pages might be expanded a bit to include the main university logo as well.

I like my logo better too. I've added the matching logo to the printer friendly pages. Thanks for pointing that out!

krystinevo wrote:
Quote:
I like the random quotes. I like the theme. I might use the yellow accent colour to make the different news category icons pop. (ie the Jobs icon -- make the bottom cell background yellow and keep the text blue or vice versa.

The random quotes are rotated using the Banner manager. We didn't have a need for banners, so I decided to make creative use of that core feature. I've put the topic icons on the list of things to do.

JasonMR wrote:
Quote:
1) you know that piCal comes with skins? (check image folder, and look at documentation, or check at GIJOE's site

Um, hehe, actually, I didn't know that. ::bows head in shame:: I'll look into it and see if going that route will work better for this site.

JasonMR wrote:
Quote:
2) theme can comfortably be used with 800px, anything larger, and reading the center column is "painfull" (-> subjective, but I feel, that short text should not cover more than 400px in width)
=> 800px screens don't have to display ALL horizontal content at once; users of 800px screens are aware that they are using outdated equipement, and will put up with having to scroll to the right;

The original theme (by 7dana) was fixed width @ 758px. I switched it to variable width to keep it from breaking on some of the modules we use (mostly priviledged access modules). I agree with you, but I had to compramise on this one.

JasonMR wrote:
Quote:
try to stick "not so important" info, in the part that is covered (headlines as they are, I would regard as such; you want users to primarily concentrate on the news!)

I'm not quite sure I'm picking up what you're throwin' down. Would you mind clarifying a little, please.

JasonMR wrote:
Quote:
3) sideblocks need better visual seperation from main content

I've darkened the borders to help create a clearer seperation of columns. I'm still not quite happy with how it looks, but a little tinkering should be all that's needed to polish the look.

Thank you all so very much for your constructive feedback. Being that I'm very passionate about the college I attend and the programs we offer, I want to make sure this site really shines a bright light on our little campus. Your wonderful feedback will certainly help us to achieve that goal.

Best Regards,

James

JasonMR
  • 2005/2/20 4:54

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

WOW, quite some improvement! You're on the right track

As I noticed that you are still playing around, I will refrain from further comments at this point (too many cooks spoil the soup!!!)

But, as I have never come across such a reply, displaying a true appreciation of input, I will provide more if requiered

Quote:

I agree with you, but I had to compramise on this one.

*sigh* yeah, we all need to do that from time to time...I played a little around with Firefox's WebDEV extension, but couldn't find the appropriate settings on the quick, and unfortunatly can't invest more time currently.

Though, I did realize, that there is much improvement, if you set the the sideblocks to 200px, but then you need to enlargen the font. ARRRR, so much for keeping quiet....but you might want to try it out

Quote:

I'm not quite sure I'm picking up what you're throwin' down. Would you mind clarifying a little, please.

Ahh, sorry for causing confussion here, but that idea is way of line, so please ignore that statement. If I ever come across an example what I meant, then I will let ya know

Keep up the good work, I'm excited about your future changes...

Bulls
  • 2005/2/20 23:25

• Bulls

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Vast improvement. Amazing what a small adjustment can do. Livened up the site a great deal.

MKJ

My site

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits