1
solo71
[myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/15 18:54

  • solo71

  • Module Developer

  • Posts: 941

  • Since: 2003/1/29


myEdito is an improved version of Edito 2.3.

This discussion started was this topic but due to the fact that (as wisely suggested) I have created a new module, I prefer to open a new one.

So, the purpose of this module is to allow your users (and not the anonymous) to create and manage their own web pages on your site.

As stated above, this is an enhanced version of the Edito module.

I now need your opinions about this project. Please, take your time to create new editos under different test account, and activate the various available blocs, in their different possible settings (check the bloc settings).

So far, I have 2 bugs I need to fix :

- display the anonymous group in the module default page setting.
- manage editors access relating group groups system.

Please let me know what you think about it (besides thoses 2 major flaws - yes, I'm not friend with the group manage ).


2
Shine
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/16 11:16

  • Shine

  • Just can't stay away

  • Posts: 822

  • Since: 2002/7/22


Bonjour Solo,

Done a first quick test.

Bugs:
- although I set the max. of allowed editos to create, ie. 3, i can make a 4th one. After that it isn't possible anymore. Think the counting somewhere fails

- There isn't an admin intervention feature setting considering submitted edito's. Everyuser can push the submit and create one. It will be published straight away. I think there should a possibility to keep it on hold and the edito won't be published until the admin says it's ok.
Same thing when the users edits his/hers edito.

- On the index: strange figures are placed behind the user's name. It is the amount of total created userseditos. Very confusing. Everytime a new edito has been created this figure rises. This total amount shouldn't be placed behind the user's name, but in the middle on the index. It'll be better to show the total created edito's count of that specific user behind username.

- Permission settings:
|- Admin can say which group(s) are allowed to create a myedito('s)
|- Admin can say who have acces to view users editos (already available)
|- Next to admin setting who can view usersedito, the user him/herself can say if his edito can be accesed by other anonymous uesers (none registered users). I.e.: if the user feels his useredito may be viewed by anonymous users it should be possible.
In someway the user himself overrules the basic admin view setting.

Haven't further tested....these were my first comments on this great looking module......(look forwad to further development)

Grtz., Shine

3
solo71
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/16 12:24

  • solo71

  • Module Developer

  • Posts: 941

  • Since: 2003/1/29


Dag Mevrouw and dank u well voor deze comentaar ! That's what I call a module review!

So here we go :

Quote:

Shine wrote:
Bugs:
- although I set the max. of allowed editos to create, ie. 3, i can make a 4th one. After that it isn't possible anymore. Think the counting somewhere fails

Damn thanks, didn't noticed. Though it was right since the beginning. Good gezien !

Quote:

Shine wrote:
- There isn't an admin intervention feature setting considering submitted edito's. Everyuser can push the submit and create one. It will be published straight away. I think there should a possibility to keep it on hold and the edito won't be published until the admin says it's ok.
Same thing when the users edits his/hers edito.

I was thinking about setting the default "online" to off, and let the admins set them "on". But I prefer to let this option to be managed by users, so they could decide wether they want their page public or for their own use only.

In the same idea, I think that the purpose of this module is to let user manage freely their content. Considering that admins have the possibility to moderate editos. A little bit like forums or comments.

In the other hand, as soon as I'll solve the "group access rights" issue the webmaster could give edition right to a specified group.

What denk je daarvan ?

Quote:

Shine wrote:
- On the index: strange figures are placed behind the user's name. It is the amount of total created userseditos. Very confusing. Everytime a new edito has been created this figure rises. This total amount shouldn't be placed behind the user's name, but in the middle on the index. It'll be better to show the total created edito's count of that specific user behind username.


I have removed it. It has no interesting purpose in fact.

Quote:

Shine wrote:
|- Admin can say which group(s) are allowed to create a myedito('s)


It's planned. Just need to be more friendly with "group" thingies.

Quote:

Shine wrote:
|- Admin can say who have acces to view users editos (already available)


As stated, it's already available. *phew*

Quote:

Shine wrote:
|- Next to admin setting who can view usersedito, the user him/herself can say if his edito can be accesed by other anonymous uesers (none registered users). I.e.: if the user feels his useredito may be viewed by anonymous users it should be possible.
In someway the user himself overrules the basic admin view setting.


Hmm... personnaly I think only the webmaster (module admin) must decide which group can see the module content. The only decision for the editor is to decide wether it is published or kept private for his own purpose.

If you get the chance to test all the blocks and the wide range possible configuration, it would be greatly appreciated as well.


4
Shine
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/16 15:12

  • Shine

  • Just can't stay away

  • Posts: 822

  • Since: 2002/7/22


Quote:
Quote:
Shine wrote:
- There isn't an admin intervention feature setting considering submitted edito's. Everyuser can push the submit and create one. It will be published straight away. I think there should a possibility to keep it on hold and the edito won't be published until the admin says it's ok.
Same thing when the users edits his/hers edito.
Solo answered:
I was thinking about setting the default "online" to off, and let the admins set them "on". But I prefer to let this option to be managed by users, so they could decide wether they want their page public or for their own use only.

In the same idea, I think that the purpose of this module is to let user manage freely their content. Considering that admins have the possibility to moderate editos. A little bit like forums or comments.

In the other hand, as soon as I'll solve the "group access rights" issue the webmaster could give edition right to a specified group.


I'd prefer an admin intervention during creating an edito by the user. This way you prevent userabuse. This admin intervention isn't meant to edit or manipulate the user's edito, but simply to keep an admin eye on it. Actually it is the same feature setting which is possible within the -latest- newbb forum. You can write a posting but it won't be published until the moderators or admin give their approval. Offcourse the admin will be able to edit the users edito, but that isn't the main thought of this setting.

Users manage their edito's to be on-/offline.......is oke. Default setting offline,....hm,....leave it as is. Online.

Quote:
Quote:
Shine wrote:
|- Next to admin setting who can view usersedito, the user him/herself can say if his edito can be accesed by other anonymous uesers (none registered users). I.e.: if the user feels his useredito may be viewed by anonymous users it should be possible.
In someway the user himself overrules the basic admin view setting.
Solo answered:
Hmm... personnaly I think only the webmaster (module admin) must decide which group can see the module content. The only decision for the editor is to decide wether it is published or kept private for his own purpose.

See above.........user decides public or not despite admin setting which groups can view edito's. We think and want the same

Other admin settings lacks:

- preferences:
Order-> by author (username). Show standard on main edito Index the list of usernames (which are authors) who have an edito('s). The recently added edito's can be shown by activating a block...or the way mydownloads/links handles on the index.....latest listings amount show beneath the categories/authorlist.

-> how many authors shown on indexlisting. 1,2,3.....5 setting option.

->admin section: overview edito's:
overview edito's(listing) again by username/author. Now you don't have any clue what editor belongs to which person.

Basic:
Within the userseditor reading,....if they are alowed to make than 1 edito it would be handy to show a link to the user other own edito's (if they made it public).
Like surfing within the author edito's.


To test and see the blocks I need to reinstall my XOOPS testpage (still running the buggie 209 version...oeh me lazy person....). Will do this a.s.a.p. and let ya know.

Grtz., Shine

5
solo71
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/16 19:34

  • solo71

  • Module Developer

  • Posts: 941

  • Since: 2003/1/29


I haven't much time to reply now. But you can re-download today's version (same link as above).

I have modified the module the way you suggested it.

Let me know.


6
solo71
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/16 22:11

  • solo71

  • Module Developer

  • Posts: 941

  • Since: 2003/1/29


Here we go.

Quote:

Shine wrote:
I'd prefer an admin intervention during creating an edito by the user. This way you prevent userabuse. This admin intervention isn't meant to edit or manipulate the user's edito, but simply to keep an admin eye on it. Actually it is the same feature setting which is possible within the -latest- newbb forum. You can write a posting but it won't be published until the moderators or admin give their approval. Offcourse the admin will be able to edit the users edito, but that isn't the main thought of this setting.


Done! I just need to fix the 're-edit' issue. Once an edito is online (thus approved), user can re-edit without control.

Quote:

- preferences:
Order-> by author (username). Show standard on main edito Index the list of usernames (which are authors) who have an edito('s). The recently added edito's can be shown by activating a block...or the way mydownloads/links handles on the index.....latest listings amount show beneath the categories/authorlist.


Done! With the sublink : author.

Quote:

-> how many authors shown on indexlisting. 1,2,3.....5 setting option.

Done! In Admin settings you can define how much results you want to be displayed.

Quote:

->admin section: overview edito's:
overview edito's(listing) again by username/author. Now you don't have any clue what editor belongs to which person.

Goed gezien en... gedaan nu. Bedank!

Quote:

Basic:
Within the userseditor reading,....if they are alowed to make than 1 edito it would be handy to show a link to the user other own edito's (if they made it public).
Like surfing within the author edito's.

I see. But one of the menu block could fill in this purpose.
Block Settings: Block type - Linked to Author.

Thanks for your report, mucho appreciado.



PS : @Carnuke : I've fixed the "anonymous can't see the edito informations/admin links issue.

7
Wheeler
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/17 0:23

  • Wheeler

  • Not too shy to talk

  • Posts: 145

  • Since: 2004/10/29


I can't wait for this module! Don't have time to try it, but I'll let give feedback when I do. Good luck.

8
solo71
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/17 16:58

  • solo71

  • Module Developer

  • Posts: 941

  • Since: 2003/1/29


Thanks Wheeler.

myEdito today's version will need to complet reinstall of the module due to the fact I made some changes in the templates. (i.e. Admin shortcuts on index and block pages, 2 new menu : droplist and select list).

Oh, and now myEdito is totally compatible with Edito.

Pay attention : you must imperatively remove totally the previous version! I spent one hour figuring that my test version was using ghost templates in the data base.

Enjoy and let me know !


9
solo71
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/18 17:02

  • solo71

  • Module Developer

  • Posts: 941

  • Since: 2003/1/29


Here we go with myEdito 0.4.

I have corrected each and every known bugs (Groups issues are solved.. Yay!). All I need now is volunteers who could test it.

Let me know.


10
solo71
Re: [myEDITO] A user homepage version for test
  • 2005/2/18 18:33

  • solo71

  • Module Developer

  • Posts: 941

  • Since: 2003/1/29


Just for test purpose, I have installed myEdito on a Test site.

Feel free to register (no mail confirmation required) and discover the user side of this module.

And, of course, let me know...



PS : The pinup is build with Edito 2.3.

Login

Who's Online

74 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)


Members: 0


Guests: 74


more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits