Kainaij
Need perspective on my site...
  • 2005/2/13 20:50

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

I am developing a community website and would like opinions on all and anything related to it. I have been working on it for so long and often, I cannot really "see" it for the first time. Please take a look for me and give me your thoughts. I take criticisms well.

It is still a work in progress but it is more complete than not.

Thanks.

http://blackfootcountry.com

Mithrandir
Re: Need perspective on my site...

I'm tired etc. so this will be short and straight on

1. Too many colours, there's yellow, black, different shades of blue, different shades of grey, "gas prices" standing out, too. I seriously thought the banner was an advertisement because it didn't fit the theme - until I looked further at it

2. Navigation. The links at the top are easily missed, especially if you quickly scroll down to read the "recent topics" block. You have the menu on the left to correct some of that, but duplicate navigation is redundant navigation. Only followed by "security" or "backup" is "redundant" a positive word - if you are concerned that the top navigation links are overlooked and you therefore need the main menu navigation, then the top navigation links are not good enough and need to be reworked

Oh - you even have navigation links at the bottom, too, but with different names and a different ordering. I can imagine that it would be quite confusing for a regular visitor

3. What is the Blackfoot county? What is the purpose of the website? When donating, what will I be donating for? Being a member of the community and contributing to its persistence is not really clear enough. Why should I become a member?

4. Too many empty forums make your site look inactive. My experience is that it is best to be ready for expansion, but not making new forums until the need arises

5. Unless it is intentional, I think you should take a look at your AMS Audience settings. Currently, anonymous users can only see the articles are there and read the introduction, but not the full article (if this is intended to make people register, disregard this comment)

It's not a bad site (again, I'm too tired to be diplomatic), at least I think you have a pretty clear idea of what it should be used for - you just have to project that idea on to the casual visitor.

Kainaij
Re: Need perspective on my site...
  • 2005/2/13 21:29

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Bang on. Your candor is appreciated. I was thinking the same things, on the most part but needed a second opinion to be sure.

Thanks Mith.

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits