marijun
news module and permissions
  • 2005/2/11 18:35

• marijun

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

ok, so in the process of making agenda-x a more usable calendar, i hosed up my XOOPS installation.

i removed it and reinstalled via fantastico (xoops 2.0.9.2)

i am the administrator, and i also added another person as a webmaster. since reinstalling, the other webmaster has not been able to add/edit news articles. all the proper permissions are in place, and i even went so far as to make a new user group with global permission and add him to that. no use. i deleted his account and created a new one, no use. i even removed the module and reinstalled it a couple times. when that didn't work, i tried news 1.3. still no use! i can't even add articles in news 1.3, and i'm the administrator!

any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm about to start knocking my head against the wall.

Mithrandir
Re: news module and permissions

Can you be more specific as to "not been able to add/edit news articles" - does he get the opportunity (via links, buttons etc.) but receive error messages? Blank screens? Forms appear and can be submitted, no errors, but database is not updated?

In News 1.3, you need to give explicit permissions per topic in Administration Menu -> News -> Permissions (note that there are THREE forms, one for approve, one for submit and one for view permissions - they have to be submitted independently)

marijun
  • 2005/2/11 18:48

• marijun

• Just popping in

thanks for a quick reply :)

here's the specifics.

he can login, access all the modules (even news), and use them without troubles (except news).

when he gets to the post news page, he enters all the info and goes through all the motions of adding an article. when he clicks the "go" button, the usual happy "database updated successfully!" redirect shows and goes back to the add/edit news page, but his article isn't listed. no errors. i thought maybe it was a problem with XOOPS just not showing the article, but i checked the database and nothing was there. i have no trouble adding news. (this is with news 1.1)

in news 1.3, i made sure all 3 permissions were set independently, but even i couldn't add articles. just kept saying there were no topics or that i didn't have permission to submit articles. i created a new topic and set permissions for it, but i still couldn't add anything.

marijun
  • 2005/2/11 18:55

• marijun

• Just popping in

whoa...now this is weird!

i tried to add 2 articles while logged in with his username, and they didn't show up. then i tried to add a third, and then the other 2 magically appeared LOL

now its not doing anything again. heh. i swear computers are posessed sometimes.

marijun
  • 2005/2/11 19:21

• marijun

• Just popping in

oh. my. god.

i am so stupid. i didn't notice that when fantastico installed xoops, it didn't use www in the xoops_url. (i didn't use fantastico before, did it manually) here i've been using www this whole time, and it just wanted the domain without it. (i hardcoded a bunch of links for the other webmaster to use for convenience)

boy is my face red!

added www to mainfile.php and its working fine. i'm going to go throw up now. i still wonder why i could login as myself and it still worked though.

thanks for yr time though, mithrandir. congrats on the election and keep up the good work!

DonXoop

Glad it worked out for you.

I too went through a hand banger this morning. Ended up mostly talking to myself in the thread and in the end found the problem. Difference is that mine had a strange solution so I didn't need to slap myself for a D'uh...

Moral of the story is: sometimes a break from the confusion even to vent about it gives time for the simple things to be more obvious.

FYI, I'll bet that you have a test site but if not you can create one with a sub domain on the same server. Maybe a little trick (untried) with the cPanel Backup/Restore to get a fresh copy of the live site started (changing db & url details along the way). Even a mass internal copy of the public_html folder and a move to a new name under it too. Saves bandwidth and time so you don't copy across the internet again...

WallStArb
  • 2005/2/11 22:42

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

Where can you download News 1.3? Latest they have here on XOOPS site is 1.21 from what I can see... please post link... thanks!

hervet
  • 2005/2/11 22:45

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

You can find it here

Bye,
Hervé

Login

Who's Online

498 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 498

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits