MorelyDotes
"MySQL support: Not available"

I've successfully installed XOOPS on two servers at $DAY_JOB, and I want to migrate from Windows/Apache (no PHP/no MySQL) to LAMP at my own business. So, Friday night last week I started a setup, using Debian Sarge on a new machine.

First go-round, I used the base-config to choose Web server and Database server. I ended up with Apache2 and PostgreSQL, which are very nice but not what I wanted, so I re-ran base-config and removed them, then used apt to install Apache 1.3.something, PHP4, and MySQL. Everything *seemed* to work until I tried to access XOOPS in a browser. No results worth noting.

To shorten a long tale of woe, I flatlined and reinstalled everything several times over the weekend, using both apt and source builds, without success. Finally, in desperation, I tried Mambo server, and it informed me that mySQL support is "not available."

So I started over again (and again... And again...) with the same (non-)results.

Telephoned my son, the linux guru, in Albuquerque (I *knew* I should have made that left turn!) and discovered that this is a common problem. Apparently, there's a line in php.ini that may be commented out by default, or not, depending on the mood of the package maintainer, or the phase of the moon, or something.

Look for the following line and make sure it's *not* commented out if you want your XOOPS installation to work:

extension=mysql.so

Quote:

Ben Jenkins
21-Dec-2004 10:23
This took me all day to figure out, so I hope posting it here saves someone some time:
Your PHP-CLI may have a different php.ini than your apache-php. For example: On my Debian-based system, I discovered I have /etc/php4/apache/php.ini and /etc/php4/cli/php.ini
If you want MySQL support in the CLI, make sure the line
extension=mysql.so
is not commented out.
The differences in php.ini files may also be why some scripts will work when called through a web browser, but will not work when called via the command line.

(Reference: PHP's official forums)

MorelyDotes
PHP curl() support missing

Several modules (inlcuding sophosFlash) require curl support in PHP, which is not included by default. This is an easy fix.

Debian and derivatives:
apt-get install php4-curl

Red Hat/SuSE:
use rpm to install php4-curl-4.3.4-26 or later.

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits