nmbsailorgal
Can I delete the sql folders in the modules after setup is complete?

I have been researching how to secure my site and read some excellent faqs regarding the Protector module and the related forums. I started thinking about the fact that all my modules still have the sql folder in them with the database structure just waiting for someone to stumble upon them.

Can I remove these files and the parent sql folder? I assume that if I do, uninstalling will not be possible, therefore I will need backups for them, correct?

Thanks for all the great info, coding, and the like! Great way to learn php and MySql!

m0nty
Re: Can I delete the sql folders in the modules after setup is complete?
  • 2005/2/7 23:14

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

to be honest there's no point deleting them.. your db prefix isn't stored in them anyway..

+ the fact if any1 really wanted to know the DB structure then they would just need to come here and download the module themselves..

JasonMR
  • 2005/2/8 0:27

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Listen to mOnty!

Deleting those folders is unnecessary work, and would have absolutely NO security benefit what so ever.

Just read up on what GIJOE has to say on the subject of security, and follow his advice, then you should be safe (100% security is a dream!).

nmbsailorgal

Great, excellent point and thanks for the prompt replies. I had not thought about the fact that if they were savvy enough to know the folder existed, then they would know where to get the module in the first place!

theCat
  • 2005/2/8 15:25

• theCat

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/2 2

Quote:
I assume that if I do, uninstalling will not be possible

No,uninstalling remains possible.
The uninstall needs only xoops_version.

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits