sinister
Any way to have xoops have functionality of myyahoo?
  • 2005/1/28 16:15

• sinister

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/26

I want to be able to have my users change the layout of the page as they want. Also I want them to be able to subscribe to RSS feeds they choose. Is there a way (or module(s)) that XOOPS can do this. Thanks

jegelstaff
Re: Any way to have xoops have functionality of myyahoo?

Block placement (the layout of items on the page) is centrally controlled. Sorry. I believe certain modules integrate with RSS; there is no core integration with RSS.

--Julian

DonXoop

Yeah this isn't a core function. Would be nice if someone wants to tackle it.

A little experiment I did a while ago was to set the theme based on the user's group membership. It involved a check on the group after login and then some hacks in mainfile and common.php and the theme would change. It worked but I quickly had requests for some users to have a different theme and that became too much trouble.

more realistic approach would be a selection of themes that a user can choose from and then stored in their profile. Doesn't give them ad hoc control but is an easier thing to hack I would think.

sinister
  • 2005/2/2 17:32

• sinister

• Just popping in

Thanks for all your help

WarDick
  • 2005/2/2 18:30

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

I believe that it can be done. The build blocks are mostly in place. The wiwimod module will allow users to build their own page with their choice of blocks. The XT-Temas will allow users to select their choice of themes. The collapsible menus are a feature of newbb. There are several RSS feed modules available and a creative theme with templates will get you pretty close.

sinister
  • 2005/2/2 19:26

• sinister

• Just popping in

Thanks WarDick

I installed the Wiki Module, but I can't seem to figure out how to let the users choose their own blocks. I can add a Wiki and edit the Wiki, but not add blocks, or change the layout.

Thanks in advance

jmass
  • 2005/2/2 20:28

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

This was considered a core feature of any real portal engine back in say 2000.

Then companies realized... Who cares what the user wants. I want them to see what I want them to see!

Seriously, I think that a customizable start page upon login to the portal would be a nice feature. This would be especially valuable for an Intranet site.

Liferay is a Java portal that does this very well. However this seems to be all it really does well. I think it should be a feature, not the main draw of the portal. It really needs to be part of the core though.

WarDick
  • 2005/2/2 21:20

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

@jmass

Right on. It would nice if it were part of the core.

@sinister

The wiki command [XBLK idnumber will place a block into the wiki. The idea is to build a table and place the blocks into the cells. In version 7 of wikimod the xblk command works, I have not been able to make it work in version 8 though. I believe the author of the module is working to repair it though.

The module theme change would also be an asset here. It allows you to change themes per module.

However there is no turnkey solution to what you want it is doable but far beyond the scope of this discussion. My intent was to show you the path, the journey is up to you. The tools are here. The vision must be yours.

The obs_classroom is also a possible solution, a module based on it has been announced here.

jmass
  • 2005/2/2 21:33

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

That module was developed for my company. I can't believe I did not think of it. It is however too difficult to configure for a simple user layout placement. It would be a good start though....

If I had thought of it at the time, I would have had Mith emulate the Liferay interface for the OBS_Classrooms module.... Maybe a redesign would interest him....

WarDick
  • 2005/2/2 21:43

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

@jmass

That sounds good.

Sometimes two heads are better than one!

The beauty of open source is that many heads definitely are much better than one!!

Login

Who's Online

131 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 131

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits