terrion
Re: Alt Tag on Images
  • 2005/1/29 4:27

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

Actually, all I was after was a way to have text appear if someone hovers their mouse over an image... The ALT tag seems to do that just fine with Internet Explorer.

WarDick
  • 2005/1/29 7:07

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Yes but only on I.E. the gecko browsers are up and coming. On my web site over 50% are other than I.E.

ronhab
  • 2005/1/29 11:07

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/27

Q: How do I do something?
A: Right Way X, Wrong Way Y
R: I'll use the wrong way.

Catzwolf
  • 2005/1/29 11:15

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Actually, there is two points to this arguement. Its what your used to and what we need to get used to.

As someone who used to develop only using IE all the time to moving over to Firefox, I have noticed a big difference in the way that the two types of browsers deal with tags (WC3 standards) and for ages I could not understand why I could not use the alt tag for popup text. Now I know lol

Standards move all the time and we should try to do the same. xHTML is a good thing as it keeps everything standard and working across all browsers and once you get used to it.......

My 2p worth lol

ATB

Catz

carnuke
  • 2005/1/29 11:42

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I have to say, I've learned a lot from this thread from others who clearly have a comprehensive understanding on this subject.

My initial comments were fairly simplistic and referenced from my own experience and the W3C advice, as I understodd it. Thanks to other posts here, the subject has been more fully expanded.

to get back to the orginal comment by terrion
Quote:
Actually, all I was after was a way to have text appear of someone hovers their mouse over an image... The ALT tag seems to do that just fine with Internet Explorer.

If thats the case, title does the job in both ie and mozilla while alt only create a text on hover for ie.

rowdie
  • 2005/1/29 11:42

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

@terrion
If you want a different solution to have text appear when you move your mouse over an image then try JavaScript. I found a nice-looking DHTML JavaScript solution here that seems to be cross-browser compatible. It would mean your text will be visible to more than just the IE users.

I don't know how you could implement it with images from the image manager though...

@ronhab
I don't understand what you're trying to say. That you will use a 'wrong' solution? There isn't one, there are just different ways of making the text visible to different groups of users.

This has turned into a very interesting thread. I've certainly learned a few things... thankyou to all who posted...

Rowd

ronhab
  • 2005/1/29 12:23

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/27

Hi Rowdie,

The right way to show a tooltip is the title tag. The wrong way is the alt tag.

If you use the title tag:
1. It works in all browsers
2. You are in compliance with the W3C
3. Your code will validate

If you use the alt tag:
1. It only works in one browser
2. You are out of compliance with the W3C
3. Your code will validate as having alternate text for images, when you are really using it for something else.

The DHTML script you linked to is for people who want to change the color or the background color or add HTML inside of the tooltip to override how the tooltip would show normally in a user's browser. (adding a link to the wikipedia listing, for example). However, be aware that it will make your site not validate and be out of compliance again. Additionally, it won't provide information to text browsers or blind people with screen readers.

To simply display the tooltip all that is needed is the title attribute.

Let's say for example that I have a submit button on my form that is a picture of betty boop. The alt tag should be "submit" while the title tag should be "betty boop" or "picture of betty boop" or something similar.

HTH

terrion
  • 2005/1/29 16:37

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

Gotta tell ya, I'm proud to say I got way more than I bargained for on this question. I thought this would be a simple question and to my delight this has become an educational experience.

Must ask though, is the subject of a text tag for images that can be a field in the image manager something that's on the drawing board? I have to believe that this has come up before.

This whole subject came up because I was thinking of how to optimize images for search engines. The way I've always done that in the past is with the ALT tag, and it has worked well for me. I've got several images in the Yahoo! image gallery that drive hits to my [static] websites almost daily.

carnuke
  • 2005/1/29 16:47

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

A tag field in the image manager... Thats gota to be a good idea, I reckon. How easy to implement, I don't know. This could be submitted as a feature request I think. There maybe even some work under way.

I agree with you about this subject also, it's raised some important learnings that maybe we have overlooked and taken for granted. I will now point an FAQ towards the thread for future references.

tedsmith
  • 2005/12/10 23:15

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

A year on almost, and now in version 2.0.13.2 and 2.2...

Seemingly the idea was not built into 2.0. because I don't appear to have the facility to add alt values tom my Image Manager graphics. Has it been built into 2.2 by any chance? (I've not yet upgraded to 2.2 thus the question, but seems profoundly useful to incorporate this feature if not done by now).

Thanks

Ted

==============================
Ignore me...just realised that alt tags do appear to be enabled. I just noticed a block I'd set up weeks ago with a 'copy and paste' fashion has an alt value that shows, but obvsiouly only in IE and only when using HTML as opposed to PHP.
==============================

Login

Who's Online

134 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 134

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits