ninja
server room Map
  • 2005/1/28 16:16

• ninja

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/27

I'm responsible for monitoring a server room and there are tons of server in there and sometimes it's hard to physically locate them.

So I want to create a basic map of the room to show where the racks and servers are located.

When a server is moved from rack to rack, I can just update it from a web interface or something. it would also be nice to have a search capability as well

I hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say and please let me know if you have any suggestions

thanks

carnuke
Re: server room Map
  • 2005/1/28 17:43

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

this might be hard with a physical map, but pretty straight forward with a logical map. Something like a list of categories that represent room co-ordinates. Then poulate and edit the content withing the categories.

Just thought of a novel way to do this graphically. There is a script Ive used as a graphical guest map on the world image. a user picks up an icon, drops it on a location and a small window opens to enter some details.

The point here, is that the world map is only an image could be anything including a graphical layout of your server room.

Ill check out the script and post back

Ok, the module is called globtrotter and you can see and downlaod it HERE

DonXoop

Interesting. And it sounds doable with the world map script.

I think I've seen that script and agree it is a good start. It might need to zoom in and out to be really effective.

Do post back any news.

ninja
  • 2005/1/28 22:44

• ninja

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/27

hi Carnuke

Thanksf or the info, it helps alot.
Just tried the standalone script and it's a good start, but I wonder if you could display the details on the maps along with the icon?

what i need is much more simple, like you said, basically just need a page with tables, then each cell would be a place holder for details where admin can add / edit detail . ?

Thanks.

carnuke
  • 2005/1/28 23:22

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Mmmm ... why dont you create A table as you want it, using a wysiwg editor in a module like tiny content AMS or wfsections. Enter the details for any given date, save the article and simply edit the details of the article as they change.

It's not graphical, but tabulated and easy to maintain.

Im saying that we don't have a module like MS-access that allows cell data editing, but you you can emulate this, though editing a table.

DonXoop

Along the same lines and easy to do is a simple query output to Tinycontent or some other (even a block). You can create a table exactly as you need and update it with any db tool that you like (outside of XOOPS so it is exactly what you like). A page refresh will show any updates.

It isn't an integrated module but you can easily store data in the XOOPS db under a stand alone table(s). BTW, you can call a database other than the XOOPS db by specifying it in the query. Just need to give the XOOPS db user the access (Select-only access is good).

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits